chapter 1: are you okay?

She woke up to utter darkness. Her whole body was drenched in sweat. Her breath uneven. She looked around her, eyes still adjusting to the dark. She kept looking around, now to see faint outlines of a cupboard, couch, study table with innumerable items scattered over it, a bed on which she lay. It was her room. She felt the quilt over her, as soft as it was when she had received it. She clutched the quilt in her hands trying to push those images that had woken her, away from her mind. But it wasn't easy.
The nightmares.
They had kept coming since she was 6 and yet it felt like yesterday. She still woke up the same way she had 10 years ago, drenched in sweat with uneven breathing. They had no relevance whatsoever initially. But ever since a few years back they seem to have a great significance. All those nightmares signified something in her life. It's severity depended and so did the time but they were never good ones.
But today's was the worst. It was about Aaron.
She leaned over to her bedside to search for her phone. She clicked it open to a wallpaper of Aaron which he had saved himself. It had him winking towards the camera with "Aaron Hamilton is the ultimate God" written beneath it. His picture worried her more. Wiping the sweat off her face she typed furiously. She just had to check.
Me: Hey! Are you okay?
She could hardly disguise her panic. As usual his reply was instantaneous.

Aaron: Yup. As hot as ever if you ask😉. Why? What happened?

Those few lines sent an immense wave of relief through her. It was as if she had been standing amidst fire and someone just poured ice cold water over her (you get it,right?) .
Me: nothing. Just couldn't sleep.

Aaron: well then maybe it should have been 'hey, are you up?'. You seem to have a rather funny spell correct don't u?

Me: maybe. I am going off to sleep jerk. See you tom.

With this she pushed her phone away not bothering to check his reply. It beeped a few times before going completely silent. She could now sleep without the worry of Aaron, until later.
She pulled up the blankets over her face and hoped to dream of something good but even she knew that was a rare case.