Chapter 42- Love on Legs

Darkness was the first to laugh. "The world? Seriously? This isn't television, kid. You can't just take over the world!"

The complete anti-climax had her in giggles, and she shook uncontrollably with wasted adrenaline. The stupid child actually thought he was some sort of super-villain, and he wanted to take over the planet. With an army of horses.

Pitch was not so amused. "You stupid child. I made you- I will kill you!"

He started forwards as though to knock the boy from his horse, but a dozen more of Jaxon's Nightmares appeared before him, rearing up. Some part of the King of Fear must have remembered his last encounter with Nightmares, because he stumbled back, a look that promised pain and death on his face. Jaxon stared down at him from his Nightmare, face twisted in anger. "No you won't. You gave me these Nightmares- all of them. And you said I'd be your prince. But now I'm going to be your king- STOP LAUGHING AT ME!"

The last part was a roar directed at Dark, who sobered up immediately as several Nightmares  appeared out of thin air in a circle around her, Jamie and Piper, Rebecca on the outside with Jack.

"DON'T YOU DARE LAUGH AT ME!" Jaxon screamed, "NO ONE WILL EVER LAUGH AT ME AGAIN! I AM THE KING OF FEAR! BE AFRAID OF ME!"

"Spoken like a true child," Pitch's voice was low and mocking as he stared at Jaxon with narrowed eyes. "You could never be a King."

Jaxon took a deep breath, and out of the corner of her eye Dark saw Jack glance at North with a look that said, whose side do we take? "I am the new King of Nightmares, and you will kneel."

"But are you burdened with glorious purpose?" Darkness asked, unable to hold her tongue.

"What?" Jaxon snapped, distracted, and she realised just what a pathetic king he would make. Falling for everything- he only thought he was in control because he was powerful.  Despite the danger Jaxon was hanging over their heads, Darkness still found the scene amusing, until one of Jaxon's Nightmares lunged at her, forcing her to sidestep into Piper.

"You just can't keep your mouth shut, can you?" Piper murmured, back to back with her and eyeing the Nightmares warily.

"It's a gift," she whispered in reply, before calling out to Jaxon, "I was only joking- can you call your attack horses off now?"

Jaxon glared at her, his dark eyes boring into her from across the room. He doesn't like me very much. "I never liked you, Darkness. You always thought I was a pathetic child."

Dark was about to reply when Piper covered her mouth with his hand. "Don't get me killed..."

Finally North interrupted, moving towards Jaxon. "We had a deal, Jaxon. Leave Pitch with us and we'll leave you alone."

"Don't you dare-" Pitch began, but the Nightmare at his side kicked him in the chest, sending him spinning to the floor, gasping for breath as Jaxon smiled.

"We did have a deal, but first you must kneel."

"He's a poet and he didn't even-" Piper's hand snapped back over Dark's mouth and she fought him, but Jaxon wasn't paying attention to her.

"We are Guardians, trust us. We only want to protect the children of the Earth, just give us Pitch and go." North raised his hands patiently, like someone who had surrendered a long time ago.

"North!" It was Rebecca's turn to call out, and Jack looked at her proudly as she took a step forward. "He's a killer! All of this is because of him, don't protect him. Stop him before he hurts someone else."