Chapter 14

Stefan couldn’t stand to sit there any longer. He had been sitting on his couch, in his living room, alone, almost all day. He couldn’t stand to sit there, just thinking, any longer. He needed something to do. So, bored, he jumped on bike and just began to ride around, for some exercise.

He coasted through his neighborhood, practicing riding with no hands. He rode past his school, glancing into the empty windows, doing tricks in the empty parking lot. He sped around town, but, subconsciously, avoided downtown.

He went through quaint neighborhoods instead, passing happy-looking houses, and people mowing their laws. While he was looking around, it took him a second to realize that he recognized this neighborhood. He spent some time wondering why, before he passed by a recognizable blue house. Darcie’s. He almost stopped, and went to see if she was home, but thought that would make him seem desperate. She still hadn’t called him. He had been glancing at his phone all day, waiting for a message. There hadn’t been anything.

So, he went on past her house, shoving it out of his mind, and focusing on the road ahead of him. Spontaneously, he turned down an alleyway, and started down a different road. After a couple of blocks, he saw a small, empty green area. There were picnic benches and a small field, with a play structure, and a swing set. He would have continued going, had he not recognized the figure, slowly rocking back and forth on the swing. It was Darcie.

He stopped and stared. It seemed like she hadn’t noticed him, she hadn’t turned around. All he saw was her back, but her figure and hair was recognizable enough. She was just barley swinging, her feet still on the ground. She was alone. Stefan placed his bike silently against a nearby tree, and tiptoed over to here. She still didn’t turn around. When he was standing just behind her he said, quietly.,

“Hey,” she whipped around at his words, looking surprised. Her face broke into a smile, and she jumped off the swing and gave him a hug, which was unexpected. She let go, and grinned at him.

“Hey!” she said happily. “What are you doing here?” she asked him, bewildered.

“I was riding around, and I saw you on the swing. Thought I’d stop and say hi.” He told her, with a smile. She raised one eyebrow suspiciously.

“So you weren’t looking for me?” she asked him cheekily. He glared at her.

“No! It was an accident.” He defended himself. She rolled her eyes.

“Sure it was, Stefan.” She grinned at him, and then went to sit back on the swing. He sat down on the one next to her, just slightly swaying. Darcie turned to him again.

“How are you?” she asked with genuine concern. He shrugged.

“All right. Quite a bit better than yesterday.” He told her. She smiled, relived. “how about you?” he asked. She shrugged, looking away.

“Okay.” She said after a pause.

“I know,” said Stefan, quietly. She gave him a half smile, a sad smile.

“I know you do.” She told him.

“So what is it now?” she asked her, worried. He felt a pang in his chest when he thought about her being sad. That surprised him. What are you doing… he thought to himself. You barley even know her! He told himself angrily.

“I just,” she paused, looking at him nervously. He said nothing, waiting for her to go on. “I feel like it… it’s my fault.” Stefan sighed, and opened his mouth to disagree with her, but she cut him off. “I know what you’re going to say. But... Think about it. Isn’t it? In a way?” she whispered, looking at him. He paused, absorbing her words. “Maybe if I had noticed, maybe if I had stopped and asked if she was okay, she’d still be here right now,” Darcie said, her voice beginning to crack.