Chapter Two - Advice Sessions

"Where's the maths homework, Elsie?" I demanded outside the class, pressing a pair of menacing eyes into her reddened cheeks. "Did you do it, or what?"

Quivering like a jelly Elsie looked at me with tears clouding her sight. "I couldn't manage it. I had ballet practice last night."

I stamped my feet childishly on the concrete floor, grimacing at her intently. "I provide a service, giving you 'popularity advice sessions' every Tuesday! You owe me, Elsie! I want that group assignment done by tomorrow! Is that understood?"

"Yes, Queen," Elsie said obediently, looking up at my face and then bowing out of respect.

People in this school know not to cross me. If they do, they face the consequences...

I don't think I'm mean. I am pretty fair, actually. And 'pleasant'. Elsie may not agree with me. But she'll thank me one day when I make her as popular as I am! Who wouldn't want to be as liked as me in the school? Everybody who's anybody wants to be popular! It's in our genes, in our DNA to want to be admired, whether we admit it, or not!

Being the coolest and most looked up to girl in the whole school has it's down side. I can't even walk down the corridors without being mobbed by a herd of Year 7 students! Vinnie, my best friend, and Paul, my bodyguard, walk beside me to protect me from the 'nerds', who want a piece of my hair or to touch my face for luck. Are they serious?

I sympathise with the 'less fortunate kids' at school. But let's be realistic; it's rather unlikely they will find popularity by keeping a piece of me in class, or by their bed. C'mon, this ain't no fairytale. It's real life! If you wanna be liked, then you need to earn it. No fairy Godmother or knight in shining armour is gonna get you what you want. You think I would help these outcast kids get a slice of 'my life', by sitting with them in the cafeteria or talking to them in class? No chance! I had to work my way up the ladder; I started from the bottom and climbed right to the very top all by myself, and so will they have to!

Mum and dad say I've turned into a cold and selfish child. I disagree. I'm not a bully, or a tyrant, or a gossip at school. I just look out for myself and my friends. I haven't got no association with anyone else.

When kids need advice, I do give it. But they have to pull a ticket, literally, and line up in the playground after school on a Tuesday. I offer them each two minutes of my time. Exactly two minutes. I assess their situation; tell them how to make friends, how to ascend the steep ladder of success. Some of them catch on quick, putting my tips into action straight away. Others, like Elsie Williams, just nod continuously like nanny goats and I know for sure they don't have a chance in hell of being like me! But they can't say I haven't given them the opportunity to try!

Marnie and Sheryl are jealous of my A Grade Popularity Rating! Too bad! You wanna be Queen Bee? You better fight me for it. Though I won't give it up so easily! Na-uh! No way! I intend to be Queen Bee for life!