Silent Night

By: vulpinewizard

Steam curled itself around the vulpine's curled fingers, as Nick attempted to cradle the precious cargo he kept in his left paw. Snowflakes continued to fall in lazy little spirals, settling gently on his crimson fur, despite the assurances of the weather mammal on ZNN. While snow wasn't exactly unknown in the city outside of Tundratown, climate control tech being what it was, it had been a long while since the snowfall in city center had reached anywhere close to double digits. As such, Nick's paws remained ensconced in thick thermal gloves, especially patterned to accommodate the claws we worked tirelessly to keep sheathed.

Nick brought his paw to his lips, sending a warm cascade of pleasure through his tired, and chilled body. The coffee warming him from his core and spreading to his stiff limbs. Dodging patches of black ice, he made his way to the cruiser awaiting him. As he opened the passenger side door, he made a mental note to thank the proprietor once again for providing the officers of the ZPD with free coffee. It was a rare thing for the fox to feel appreciated, especially with his partner's stellar record at handing out parking citations. Still, he found himself unwilling to complain. The night could always get worse.

He slid into his seat, extending a paw and its rabbit sized coffee cup, to his partner sitting in the driver's seat. After a pregnant moment, he looked up, still extending his paw, to notice that Judy was ignoring him. Instead of accepting the cup of steaming coffee, she had her muzzle buried in her phone, thumbs a blur as she typed out a lengthy message on some social media site.

"Arms about to fall off," he said dryly. She started, looking up to the fox, her eyes wide, nose twitching. Nick smirked, realizing that she truly hadn't noticed him return to the car, engrossed as she was.

"Oh sorry Nick. Thanks," she said, placing the phone on their cruiser's console, and taking the proffered cup.

"No problem carrots," and in a flash, he reached for her phone.

Judy struggled awkwardly with the coffee Nick had handed her, attempting to both manage her coffee, and to recover her phone.

"Yoink," Nick said, as he retrieved the phone just a hare faster than his counterpart.

"Oi," Judy said, "Phone. Now!" Judy was covered from the tips of her ears, to the bottom of her chin with a set of hand knit ear-warmers she had received from her mother not two weeks before. They were patterned in alternating stripes of pastel colors that were a shocking contrast to the austere navy and black of her uniform. The hues didn't lend themselves to intimidation, not that Nick would have given up on such a juicy target of gossip even if they had. He internally flinched, however, at the spark in the doe's lavender eyes. Holding the phone out of her reach, he quickly scanned over what she a written. Looking down at his partner, he saw a sharp look in her eyes that promised retribution.

"Isn't Julie one of your litter mates?"

"Yes," Judy said with a scowl. She held out a paw expectantly, the other cradling her beverage. Nick placed the device gently in her paw, a thoughtful expression crossing his muzzle.

"Didn't she get engaged or something?"

Judy nodded in assent, "Three times. This makes number four."

Nick's frowned, right ear flicking over his head.

"Four times huh..."

"This year."

Nick whistled, as Judy groaned, reading over the message she had written once again.

"I mean, it's not like she isn't a grown doe."