Chapter 8

Slick had ended up spending the whole day in Nana's house playing video games and ceaselessly hitting on Andrea who tried to act like she wasn't enjoying the whole scene. Nana had offered to drive Slick home so he could use that opportunity to buy some noodles when returning home. Slick had jumped at the offer and had tried convincing Nana to allow his sister to join them. Nana's response to Slick's silly attempt had been a deep-seated frown which had caused Slick to shut up even though he was midway through a sentence.
Slick had then taken the lead outside to wait for Nana beside the car. Nana began moving around the house in search of his wallet when his phone rang. The caller ID indicated that of his mum. He slid the answer button across the screen.

'Hello?'

'Nana? How are you?' His mum enquired.

'Where are you mum?' He responded paying no attention to her greeting.

'At least answer my question fir...'

'No mum, where are you?' Nana cut in

'I am in Johannesburg.'

'Mum...really? Johannesburg?'

'I am sorry, I was called to come and give a presentation.' She stated flatly.

'And you couldn't call or text to inform Rea and me?'

'I came home to take some clothes but you weren't home so I told Abu to inform you.'

Nana shook his head and grabbed his wallet. He wasn't in the mood to keep up a conversation with his mum, he felt the lack of her presence at home was what was causing Rea to go in this direction.

'I hear you, mum. Enjoy your stay.'

'Are you ok Nana?' Lydia asked.

'Yes, I am fine. Try and get Rea a new phone when returning. Her phone is messed up.'

'Nana, this isn't you. Why are you talking to...' Lydia began.

'Can I call you back mum. I am stepping out.' Nana said bluntly and ended the call.

Walking out of the house, he headed to the car.

After opening it up and sitting inside, he turned to Slick and stated.

'I have a problem Nii, I need your opinion.'
*** *** *** *** *** *** *** ***

Lydia stared at the phone. She was shocked her son had hung up on her. She attempted to redial his number but held herself from doing so. Instead, she called her daughter Andrea. She waited as the call went through yet no one answered. She tried the number again still no answer. An odd feeling began to creep up her spine. Lydia felt she shouldn't have taken this decision to come to Johannesburg so quickly.
*** *** *** *** *** ***
Nana struggled with how to relay his story in order to get the candid opinion of his friend.

'Ok, here is the scenario....there is this lady who likes you and has begun throwing herself at you. What would you do?'

Slick laughed, held himself from laughing for a short moment and burst out laughing once more running out of breath in the process.

'Masa, the girl want you to chop am, make you chop am! Is this something you should even ask about?! Bros abeg make you drive wae."

Nana stared silently at his friend. He had lost the courage to continue with his story to further explain that his sister was the damsel in question.

He looked away from his friend and turned the key to the ignition.

*******************

The steaming pack of Indomie Noodles had turned cold. Nana had been lost in thought since Slick had made that comment. Many questions ravaged the room of his mind.

Had he made a wrong decision last night?

He battled within.

No, he reassured himself, he hadn't. But she wasn't talking to him, it felt like he didn't even exist in the house.

She had totally ignored him and even more when slick was around.

Wasn't sleeping with your sister incest or something of that sort?

He unconsciously rubbed his hand over his head; a habit he had picked up to indicate that He was deep in thought.

Nana had dropped Slick off at the bus stop just outside the estate gate where they sold Indomie. He had thought it wise to buy two packs just in case Rea had gotten hungry.When he returned home and offered her the pack Rea had declined and walked off.

Nana couldn't take it anymore, he got off the dining hall chair and headed towards Rea's room, leaving his meal. It was half past eight.
*** *** *** *** *** ***

Andrea's day had been filled with avoiding her brother and amusing herself with Slick and his futile proposals to her. She knew Nana would be at his wits end wondering what in Heaven's name was wrong with her. Nothing was wrong, she felt really ashamed about last night and didn't know how to react in front of him. Avoiding and ignoring him had been one of the best options.

She heard a knock on the door but refused to invite Nana in.

'What do you want?' She hissed loudly.

'I want to talk to you Andrea.' Nana replied.

'What about?'

'Please let me in first.'

'Let you in so you can make me cry again?' Andrea had gotten out of bed, walked to the door and leaned against it with her back.

Nana paused before replying

'No, Rea I won't make you cry I just want to talk.'

'Go talk to someone else. I am not in the mood.'

'Andrea please.... I beg you.' Nana pleaded.

Was Nana actually begging, she asked herself.

'Go to your room, I will come so we talk there. Wanna clear my head first.'

I hear you.' Nana replied and walked away from her door.
*** *** *** *** *** *** ***

Nana anxiously tapped his feet on the floor while sitting on his bed waiting for Andrea. He wasn't amused that she had decided to come to his room again. He wiped his face with his hands and stood up, unconsciously analyzing how tidy his room was.

Just then, Andrea's knock on his door jolted him out of his thoughts. He wiped his now sweaty palms against his jeans trousers and took a seat at the edge of his bed before inviting Rea in.

She had changed, she wore a long ankle length dress which accentuated her wide hips.

Nana licked his lips as she walked towards him and plopped herself onto the bed.

The dress had a low neckline giving ample view of Rea's cleavage.

'What did you want to talk about?' She asked while swinging her legs.

Nana gulped and kept staring at her cleavage.

Andrea tried shielding it with her hands,

'You told me staring wasn't good but you are staring.'

Nana hit his head with his hand in a bid to stop staring.

'I am sorry but you...' Nana began

'Kiss me.' Andrea cut in.

'Huh...?' Nana asked in bewilderment.

'You said you love me and won't let anything happen to me right?' Rea asked

'Yes but... '

'Then show me this love, kiss me!' Andrea cried out.