c h. | s e v e n

deepest, darkest

__________________________________________________

IT WAS FUNNY how easily fear crept up on you.

How easily it brought a chill to your bones, an overwhelming feeling of uncertainty. Growing paranoia by planting little seeds of doubt in your mind. Seeds that sprouted and grew into venomous monsters –like the trees that were surrounding Claire, growing, curling, unfurling. Reaching out to grab and steal her away from the little reality she had left to cling on to, blocking out all traces of sunlight even on a late summer morning.

Claire should have found relief she wasn't alone. Elias walked on 20 feet ahead of her, seemingly unfazed by the haunting forest that was unsettling Claire.

It would be helpful if she could think about something other than the resounding crunch her feet made against the ground every time she stumbled, or how the seconds between each crunch signified they were getting deeper; deeper into the dark forest with the ominous warning sign in ancient writing. . .

What was she doing here?

Claire attempted conversation again. Talking would help. If only her companion wasn't the most irresponsive human in existence.

"So. . ." Claire began. "The queen is evil."

Of all the topics she could've chosen, Claire would never be sure why she chose that one. Perhaps it's because it was one of the last things she'd been informed before she set of on this death quest with Elias. Or perhaps, it was because it was something he actually seemed adamant about, contrasting the passive behavior Claire had quickly come to associate him with.

But Elias did not answer.

Claire, clearing her throat, asked again louder. "So, the queen is evil?"

Miraculously, this time, Elias stopped. He turned around and looked at Claire expectantly. Claire repeated her question, rephrasing slightly. And speaking slowly this time, "Do you really believe the queen is evil?"

Elias raised an eyebrow. For a while, he didn't reply; only stared as Claire's mouth formed the syllables of her still unanswered question.

"Yes, I do," he replied simply, before turning around and beginning to walk again.

Getting over her momentary astonishment that he actually replied, Claire suddenly felt unsatisfied by this response. She still didn't understand.

Noticing he was quickly getting away, Claire hastened her pace, hurrying after him.

"But why?" she asked loudly, as she ducked underneath a writhing branch from Ominous Looking Tree no. 125.

Unfortunately, this time, she got no reply. Elias simply kept on walking forward as if he hadn't heard a word she'd said.

Claire sighed.

Again, how did she get in this situation?

✵ ✵ ✵

Earlier that day. . .

Claire's ears were still ringing from the explosion that occurred a few seconds ago.