Part Two •

Killian kept unintentionally stealing glances her way. He watched as she swiped her credit card to pay for the cup she had ordered earlier. She had also ordered on more cup of coffee to-go.

Of course he had offered to fit the bill, but she immediately shot him down.

He wasn't sure what it was yet, but the way she slid her reading glasses out of her pocket and onto the tip of her nose to read her receipt, seemed to drive him crazy.

Once she was satisfied with the transaction, they both said their goodbyes to Cindy and left. The September air had brought with it, evening chills. Both Killian and Laura bundled up their coats before starting down the street. They didn't get very far though. Laura stopped abruptly, the turned around.

"What is it?" Killian asked. She said nothing as she made her way to the homeless man. He barely noticed she had approached until she set the coffee cup she was holding, down in front of him.

"Stay warm tonight, Pete." She said. He smiled back at her as he nodded a thanks and took the coffee.

"The was very nice of you." Killian noted when she walked back to him.

"I never felt comfortable giving out money to the homeless because there's no way of knowing a persons true intentions, but give a homeless man a hot drink, or a meal, and you know that at least one of their needs have been met that day." She replied.

"That's very selfless." He added.

"Nothing we do is selfless. Our hearts may be in the right place, but we help the less fortunate to help ourselves. Some of us do it for our morality. We crave the feeling of knowing we did something right. The rest of us are addicted to those few seconds of admiration... having our good deeds noticed." She replied. He couldn't help but smile at her.

He had begun to understand that she was a realist. He had found something unfiltered, in a world so fake.

There's something I need to buy." He announced. They had stopped outside of a corner store. "Wait here."

She nodded back at him, before he dashed into the store.

She sat down on the bench besides the entrance, and waited.

The lights from the busy streets of New York, had become so much a part of her, she never really realized how restless the city was. There was a few buddies who had stumbled out of a bar across the street. It was a little early to be drunk, but no one really cared around here. Some couples walked about, enjoying the beautiful lights from the tall buildings...

The sky scrapers.

Laura did her best to clear her head. She was determined to finish off the last hour of this retched day, happy.

She wasn't sure why though.

Did she really deserve to be happy on a day like this?

Before her mind could spiral further this road of self deprecation, she heard the door to the store open again. Killian had emerged with a few bags. He had done his best to hurry in and out, but he had some trouble finding a bottle of dish soap.

"What did you get?" She asked curiously, but he just pulled the bags to his side.

"It's a secret." He replied.

After a few moments, she nodded and the continued on.

"Tell me about your day?" He asked.

"It was rather uneventful." She replied. And it was true. She had done close to nothing all day, besides reading.

She enjoyed reading.

She loved the way she could insert herself into another world... another time...

For a few hours, she was no longer Laura from Account and Finance.

She was Gweneth: Betrothed to King Arthur as he continued his rule of the Knights at the Round Table. Friends with Merlin, his sorcerer who's one goal was to raise Arthur to be the greatest king there ever reigned.

She was someone else. She was something else.

"I'm sorry to hear that." Killian replied. "My day was uneventful as well."

It was also true. He had spent the majority of his day playing the violin. He had called in from work pretending he was sick, so he could get through the last few hours of the hangover he had.

"Where do you work?" She asked him. He just smiled back at her.

"Let's leave the conventional questions out for tonight, okay?"

"But you asked me how my day went. Isn't that as conventional as it gets?" She countered. His grin only widened.

"You're sharp." He noted. She looked away at that. No one had ever called her sharp before.

"Where are we heading?" She asked. He just gave her a wink before turning them onto another street.

She still recognized where they were, but everything looked more... slowed down. The buildings weren't as modern as they usually were... everything seemed older and more elegant than that. She noticed a beautiful park located behind one of the buildings she hadn't recognized.

Killian had been through here many times. This was where he usually went when he needed sometime away from the fast paced city life. There were much less people walking about this area. Mostly a few dog owners watching over their pets, or late joggers using the trails.

He lead her over to the large fountain that stood in the center of the courtyard. The water gently created dome-like seals as it tumbled down the beautiful stone base into the well portion.

Laura was still a bit lost as to what was happening as Killian reached into one of his bags to remove the soap.

Realization settled in, but it was too late.

Killian had begun to empty the blue liquid into the fountain.