Chapter 19

Heather was going to take this shower home with her.

The hot water ran down her body, relaxing each and every muscle on its way. She stood still, her eyes closed and her hands running through her hair, ridding it of the last remains of shampoo suds. She let out a happy hum, coming to the conclusion that if every shower in France was like this one, America would have a lot of catching up to do.

With her muscles loose and her mind now less groggy, she began to think back to earlier that morning - when they had first arrived in Paris. 

Charles had rented three rooms and Hank - bless his soul - had offered to watch the sleep deprived (and oh so cranky) twins, so Heather could get some sleep in a room by herself. That, however, didn't last long - as Heather recalled, Erik had showed up at her door not even five minutes later.

The two had talked for maybe an hour or two before they were kissing and one thing lead to another and - Heather laughed a little, it seemed a little funny that Erik and Heather now couldn't be near each other without sleeping together at least once. 

The shower curtain opened behind her and - speak of the Devil - Erik stepped in. Though Heather bemoaned leaving the stream of hot water, she knew Erik would need to wash himself too and tried to step out of the way. But his arms wrapped around her waist, pulling her flush to him. 

"Morning," she laughed, just as he leaned down to plant a kiss on her cheek. "Good morning," He replied. Heather turned around, wrapping her arms around his neck and connecting their lips for a short but sweet kiss. "Are you ready for today?" She asked nonchalantly. Her reply came from how tense Erik suddenly seemed to be. She looked up at him in concern, his eyes revealing worry, pain, and - a little fear. 

"What's wrong?"

"Nervousness," he explained bluntly, and before Heather could reply, he added, "Let's not focus on that right now. Please." He looked at her and really? How was she going to resist? 

"Of course," she responded, feeling a little relief when a soft smile crossed Erik's face, replacing the fear. She smiled back, just before he leaned and captured her lips in a passionate kiss.

_____________

"So, is the war over?"

Heather glanced at Pietro, who was transfixed by the sights outside of the car window. The bright yellow and red flags seemed to be everywhere and Heather could hear the muffled bits of chanting and singing. The entirety of Paris - maybe even France - filled the streets, all rejoicing America exiting the Vietnam War.

The atmosphere outside was so different from the one within the car. Tenseness and nervousness outweighted joy, with Pietro's question being the first thing said since they had entered the vehicle. But Heather couldn't really blame anyone for being silent or nervous - after all, they were about to confront Mystique and change the future.

That was pretty scary.

"Is that why everyone is celebrating?" Wanda wondered as well. "Well, not exactly, hun," Heather explained, both of her kids looking at her in surprise and confusion, "The United States isn't involved in the war anymore, but it's still going on."

"Then why are people celebrating?" Pietro asked, sounding bewildered. Erik glanced outside, before he explained further. "Because the war is coming to an end. They're going to stop fighting for the next few days so there can be more peace agreements. That's something to celebrate, right?"

Pietro paused, pressing his lips together in a tight line, before looking away from the bright flags and saying, "I guess so."

When they arrived outside of the hotel where the Accords were taking place, they were greeted by two guards and a gate.