Safe: A Nick Burkhardt Love Story

CHAPTER 1:

Nick Burkhardt is a family friend, I was sent away to live with him in substitute for a safe house on the occasion that my father is deployed and currently working on busting a huge drug cartel off the coast of Cuba. We were abrubtly removed from our home into an unmarked vehicle heading towards Portland.

**conversation between dad and me**

Dad: it's only temporary baby doll, a few weeks, and I'll be back to get you. I need you to be safe and Nick will put his ass on the line for you. Now, he already knows you're coming so he's waiting for us. You MUST do as he says, Macy, he WILL protect you.

Me: Dad, why do I have to be in a safe house? Why can't I just be home? And why couldn't we bring anything? I don't have any clothe-

Dad: that's taken care of already, you have a private bank account with plenty of funds. All of your things will be gradually moved to Nick's house. Now, Nick knows everything and then some, so if you ask him a question he may not be able to answer all of them, for your safety.

*END OF CONVERSATION*

The rest of the ride was filled with silence, stress, confusion, and a little bit of comfort. I had been nearly kidnapped by the people who were looking for my father. I knew Nick would keep me safe, if my dad trusted this man with his only child's life, I should trust him too. We pulled up to the precinct where Nick works. Dad was greeted by Captain Sean Renard, Nick, Hank and Wu came outside as well. I stepped out of the car, just in a white lace sundress and sandals, long curly Brunette hair, and the necklace with the matching puzzle piece that dad gave me before he left the first time. I looked at my father one last time before tears welled up in my eyes.

"Daddy.." I said, my voice breaking into quiet sobs as I clung to my dad.
"Are you gonna be okay?" I asked him, sniffling and wiping away my tears.
"Yes baby, I promise, and I'm going to be back faster than you can start getting comfortable in Portland." He said before letting me go and turning to Nick,
"You take care of my daughter Burkhardt." He told him, smiled and turned to the truck. My dad drove away and we all stood in silence, Nick set his hand on my shoulder. I turned around and wrapped my arms around him and let out a few more sobs.
"Nick, I'm so scared, what do I do?"
"I know, I know Mace, just stick with me. Everything's gonna be fine okay?" He reassured me as he hugged me tighter and whispered in my ear.
Hank grabbed me for a welcoming hug, and we went inside. I got nervous, so I grabbed Nick's hand, and he gave my hand a squeeze and smiled at me. He has such a comfortable smile.

Hours went by and I was sitting at Nick's desk, I decided to play on the computer a little, So I went to the pictures file and started flipping through them. There were all kinds of pictures of our families together before my dad was deployed. Kind of a lot to take in on my first day in Portland. I came across a long lost picture of me and Nick that I had forgotten about. We were at a cook out, one of our many, and my mom snapped a picture of us. I was sitting on his lap and he wrapped his arms around me, he heard me mumble 'eww' jokingly and tickled my sides causing me to crack up laughing. It ended up being a good picture although I hadn't seen it till now, I printed it off, flipped it over to the back and began writing a note on it. The note read,

Nick,
I don't know why he picked you, but it must've been for a good reason. I look forward to the next few weeks with you and I hope there will be room for smiles again, like last time. At first I thought it was going to be so weird staying alone with you for this time, but I found this picture in your files, and it made me feel happy. Thank you for what you're doing, even when I had no idea any of this would happen. You're one of the best, if not the best person I know. Love you, fucking dork. (:
-Macy

I folded up the note and put it in his desk drawer for him to find later. Just then, Nick and Hank came through the door.

"Hey punk, you ready to head out?" Nick asked me, leaning on the desk. I nodded and smiled, then got up to leave with him. We were driving back to his house when he shot me a curious smirk, just as I was staring at him.
"What?" I asked as my cheeks warmed up.
"I saw you put something in my desk, got any ideas?"
"What-! No!" I said with a sarcastic smile.
He looked at me and shook his head,
"Don't think I won't find it tomorrow, girl." He said and smiled at me again.
The rest of the car ride was small talk.

We got to his house, we walked up the front stairs and he unlocked the door letting us in.
I sat down on the couch, I didn't know what else to do, I looked up to find a staring Nick,
"What are you doing?" He asked.
"Uh..Nothing? I don't know, sitting?" I replied, slightly confused.
"I've never known you to be so shy." He stated curiously.
I couldn't help it, word vomit.
"What happened to Juliette?" I asked him.
"She left. About a year ago," he said as he took off his shoes and sat down beside me.
"Said that I was crazy, needed help, and left. Haven't heard from or seen her since..." He trailed off.
"Nick, I'm sorry. I was just curious." I said, cutting myself off from saying something dumb,
"You look tired Nick, you should probably get showered and comfy." I said.
"YOU should, and when you're done, wanna watch movies?" He said smiling at me.
"Duh! But hm.. Nick... I haven't got anything to wear. And--"
"Right! You can wear my clothes tonight okay?" He said, cutting me off.
Nick led us to his bedroom and flipped on the light, then headed to his drawers. I flopped down on his bed, it was so soft, pillow top I'd assume, because I just sunk down into the covers and it felt oh so great.
"You can wear these! I'm sorry I don't have any of Juliette's clothes or I would've--"
"Nick! It's fine." I smiled at him and took the clothes, a familiar smell took over my nose. Nick. Suddenly I'm filled with this lightness like I was on a cloud and all I could do was smile.
"Hello? Earth to Macy! Come back from dream land!" Nick called, I snapped out of my daze, feeling quite embarrassed.
"Oh! Sorry, Nick, I was just thinking.."
"About?" He questioned with a weird look. He was now leaning against his dresser.
"I-uh-nothing- I don't know?" I stammered and stumbled over my words.
"Okayyyy then, whatever the kid says!" He joked.
"I'm not a kid anymore Nick!"
He disregarded that comment, and showed me where the shower was.

After I showered and tried fitting into Nick's oh so comfy pajama pants and his shirt, I put my hair in a messy bun and I made my way downstairs to the living room. Nick looked up at me and chuckled,
"Cute!" He said almost laughing at how baggy his clothes were on me.
I smiled and walked over to sit beside him on the couch. We started watching a romantic comedy and laughing with each other and catching up. I started dozing off when Nick suggested I get some sleep. After we parted ways I went to the room beside his, the guest bedroom which had become mine for the time being. I tried settling in my new bed, getting comfy, but when two hours went by without even shutting my eyes, I decided I couldn't sleep.. It was too different.

I hopped out of bed quietly and crept into the hall, I looked over to Nick's bedroom and saw the light from his tv on, figured he was still up so I creeped the door opened.

"Nick...?" I called almost in a whisper. His head shot from the tv to the bedroom door, he looked at me pitifully.

"Hey kiddo, can't sleep?" He asked with his full attention on me.
"Yeah.." I said shyly. He pulled down the covers beside him and patted the bed,
"Come onnnnnn" he said playfully rolling his eyes and opening his arms.
I climbed into his warm bed with him, laying so that I was facing him. He rolled over to face me too, sliding his arm under my pillow so that my head was comfortably resting on his arm. I gave him a small smile.

"Hey." He said.
"Hi"
"You know, you don't ever have to feel unsafe here. Whenever and wherever, I'm always a--
""A heart beat away." We said in unison. He smiled at me, pulled me closer and kissed my forehead.
"You're growing up on me. What are you like, 40 now?" He joked.
"19!" I protested punching the his chest. He laughed and settled back down.
"How about we go see Monroe and Rosalee tomorrow? You girls can do a little shopping!" He suggested.
"Mmm, sounds fun...." I mumbled before drifting off to sleep.