Or Bleed

As I fall to my knees, Maven's face turns from hate to triumph. The crowds are once again jeering in my direction and my tears come uninvited. After several minutes of continuous shrieks from the Silvers, Maven clears his throat, ready to let everyone know what will happen.

"My dear citizens of Norta, I come before you today with a gift. I have brought you the little lightning girl! She has lied, murdered, and betrayed the royal family and for that, she must be punished. However, we believe she is withholding information on the whereabouts of the Scarlet Guard headquarters and we must keep her for further questioning. Although it may take time, I promise that you will get justice! Your loved ones will be avenged!" The crowds are cheering now, even louder than before.

I look up at Maven from the ground, scared of what he is saying. He plans on letting these people exact revenge on me, and soon enough, I will be dead. He then pulls me up roughly with the leash and starts to walk back towards the castle with me trailing behind. Silvers start pelting me with rocks and trash and so more tears flow than ever before. Embarrassment creeps through my body, making my cheeks flush redder. Everyone knows the truth now, so there is no point in hiding the darkening tint rushing across my face.

Maven walks us into the castle, past the throne room. At first, I think that he is taking me to a cell to rot, but instead we make our way into his room with two sentinels following closely behind.

"Leave us," Maven says to them. They look hesitant but do as they are told. My tears have once again dried from my face and I now feel nothing but sorrow. I deserved to be pelted and humiliated. So much blood is on my hands. And now I am curious as to what Maven needs to say to me in the presence of no one.

"Mare, look at me please." Maven asks, but I know that it is an order. I look up at him and see another flicker in his eyes, one I believe to be sadness. He gently touches my cheek, the warmth spreading through my body like fire. "I am sorry for what I did out there today, letting you be hurt, but it had to be done. There is so much unrest right now because of what you and your friends have done. Because of what my brother has done." He says brother with pure hate in his voice. I can sense his anger even further by the sudden rise in temperature. His hand leaves my cheek as anger steams through his exterior. "You agreed to be my prisoner and do as I say. You will be obedient or there will be severe consequences. Painful ones." That look of sadness is once again replaced with malice, and I feel angry at myself for thinking he could be caring towards me, not that I deserve it. I did kill his mother. Another pang in my chest.

He looks as though he wants to say more, but thinks differently on it. "I will have sentinels escort you to your room. Remember what I said about consequences Mare." And with that, two sentinels come in and lead me away. We walk into a room just down the hall from Maven's and I realize that it is my room I had while I was Mareena. I wonder why Maven is giving me any luxuries at all, considering recent events. Despite being the same room, there are still differences. The windows are now covered in bars, there are magical locks on the door, and silent stone laces the walls.

One sentinel removes the collar from my neck, and both leave me by myself. I hear the door lock as they leave. I turn towards the bed and see that pajamas are already laid out for me. I go take a long, warm shower to get the food out of my hair and then I topple into bed. I want to sleep, but I can't.

I know that I should think of Cal, but all thoughts are on Maven. I should hate him, and he should hate me, yet he shows me kindness that I do not expect. I want nothing more than to believe there is still good inside of him, but it's so unlikely. I eventually drift off to sleep, dreaming only of the boy king.