Chapter 5 ♦️ Deadly Company (Pt.2)

Chapter Five ♦️ Deadly Company (Part.2)

     They're after the dragon, Christine said in her mind, surveying the environment after having secured a position away from the Mystic Flight's blast. She turned to look behind her only to realize that she had left her sword implanted in the ground, the weapon was closer to Adan and Pisa. And we're outnumbered by three...

She sent a wave of energy, trying to feel someone or something else to ensure that there were six bodies. The mage managed to sniff out another being with her subtle power flare, one that tried to mask its presence by limiting their mana outtake, making that seven people who have trespassed Evansce.

If these were truly Ethereal Aura's dragon slayers, two or three members of the force shouldn't have an issue taking down a beast. But what they were targeting was a Mystic Flight, dragons that were known to be witty and that killed on sight. There was no harm in taking extra precautions, even Christine acknowledged that, but she was not going to allow them to take the glorious dragon away from her!

People walked around them, and Christine shadowed a man who went in Pisa and Adan's direction. None of them had fought any Ethereal Aura member directly, so they measured him first before doing anything else.

     "If you want Theodore to acknowledge your skills, take that beast down now!" A man to their left shouted, referring to their current organization leader.

The trespasser shuffled toward Pisa, making Christine shoot a smoldering glare at him without being seen.

     "This land is cursed, I tell you! We got tipped off by some strange person who said the dragon was sighted here and that it was small-I mean, look at it!"

     "A curse this land is, I'll say, but don't concern yourself with this shit dragon haven," another man replied. "We're just after its dragons, nothin' else."

     "Didn't they say it was dying?"

     A young man wearing a strange hat casually listened to the dragon's roar. "This land is a curse. If we didn't have our tapped minds, we'd be stuck in a different reality. We did get fooled by the one who gave us a tip, though...and perhaps they want us to take it down ourselves so they can run off with this power." His face had burns of dragon fire. "Hell to it. We'll be taking this dragon for ourselves."

A loud purple explosion tried to disrupt everyone's senses, but they already knew how to prepare for the blast. The impact of the dragon's energy ball sent the landscape trembling, the meadow's beauty slowly disappearing with all the snow melting and dirt flying everywhere. In that blast, the Mystic Flight derailed the stream of water nearby, and water droplets fell from the sky. Vicious snarls echoed throughout the meadow, her tail swooshing down to kill the trespassers.

     "The expert dragon slayer is no longer in our service now that we need him the most, but we can still kill this one."

     One gritted his teeth, "Oh rookie, we don't need the fool! We've slain bigger ones."

Snow was frequently lifted into the air by the dragon, dirt flew across the area, and water rained on them all. The meadow slowly became a disaster, and Christine wanted to lash out with her mighty power, enraged at what the land was becoming.

     "I'm too old for this."

     "Stop the bickering. It's just a stupid beast!" Another shouted, holding a thick lasso in one hand, he tossed the useless rope away. "Give us a chain and some rods."

Christine watched the same man that had walked towards the shrubbery where Adan and Pisa were. It looked like he was looking for something, and she wasn't sure of what, but she knew that he would be able to see the pommel of her sword easily.