Chapter 2

The main hall is so full of people that I escape to the relative emptiness of the outside veranda. I stand next to the stone banister and stare down at the kingdom below. Fallin Castle stands on the highest mountain in the kingdom, overlooking it's biggest city, Fallin. Outside the high mountain air is thin and chilly in my sleeveless ball gown, but I stay near the edge and watch the city.

The largest collection of light comes from the west side, where the temples are. Every night the priestesses light candles and magic balls for the people who have died but are still remembered. Their spirits in the sky can look down and know they are still loved. Further out from there, the city is still aglow with libraries, taverns, and theatres. It is called the city that never sleeps. I enjoy the view, for my chamber is devoid of any windows.

Surrounding me on the balcony are other guests, but they don't focus on the view like I do. To them it is an everyday thing. They live in the city, and when this party is over, they will return to it. But I am stuck here.

Most of the guests recognize me for who I am, and avoid being near me. Soon the veranda near me is empty but for elaborate ice sculptures. Beside me on the railing is an ice hawk, its wings frozen in the motion of just pulling off of the ground. Inside it glows a blue magic light, that I helped by making. Candles would have melted them, of course. Magic lights and flames don't give off any heat.

On my hand my newest diamond shimmers in the same tone as some of the ice. After my earlier attempt, the diamond is a soft orange colour. If I continue to fill it with power it will eventually turn to a deep jewel tone like the rest of my rings.

These rings are my most treasured possessions. They hold all of the extra magic I have been storing since I was nine. It is only with their help that I can attempt some of the bigger spells that Gerric forces me to do.

That is the only reason why he lets me own them. At the same time that he loves the magic I can do for him, he hates that I posses it. And fears me. They all fear me.

I turn around and notice that all the other guests have left the veranda. I hear the music playing inside and know that the dancing has started. I would like to join in, but I know that Kieran will be the only one to dance with me.

Limma awakens and crawls up my shoulder so that she can see the city light too. She has forgiven me for my previous small slight. After her movement some of my other rings begin to awaken also.

The dragon on my ring finger coughs up a small fire ball, then curls up back around his deep blue stone. On my other hand the ring with three butterflies flutters around before turning to stone again.

I rest my elbows on the banister and sigh. It seems such a flimsy barrier from a fall so great. I think of the quick sweet death I would have if I fell off. But the quiet wouldn't last long.

A voice from behind me pulls me out of my morbid thoughts. “The view is beautiful, huh?”

I freeze. Limma quickly scurries off my exposed shoulder and hides in my hair, her small body curved around my ear. I tighten my fingers around the banister nervously.

The man behind me doesn't seem to realize my tension, or who he is talking to. I hear his footstep come closer, stopping when he is almost directly behind me.

“You think that they would have a thicker railing considering how high above the city we are. Then again, the Fallin are known for their fearlessness.”

I stay still thinking that maybe he'll take the hint and walk away. No such luck.

“...the ice looks striking against the sky. They're lucky that the moons aren't out tonight. The complete darkness adds a certain... magic to the atmosphere.”