Chapter 19: Amanda

Hilary trudged down the polished wood stairs of Godolphin House, her riding boots clomped down with her. Emma chatted away as usual but Hilary paid her no attention, her thoughts were focused on the mystery person in the reception wanting to talk to her.

As the group walked down the path and up to the doors of the main office, a few girls started milling round and pointing. Hilary blushed in embarrassment.  As the glass doors swung open, Hilary gawked in astonishment. Amanda was sitting on the couch and behind her were two people, a man and a woman. Hilary assumed that they were her parents. Instead of the usual, prim and proper Amanda, though, this one looked as though the mere presence of people in the room would turn her to dust, she sat hunched over with her face resting on her hands. For once, Hilary actually felt sorry for Amanda, that she had to go through this.

A lady behind the reception desk stood up and moved into the light, Hilary realized with joy that it was Jo, she would be able to make all of this seem simple. "Amanda," she said gently, "I think you have something to say." Amanda looked up, and Hilary could see that her tear stained face had lost the arrogance and confidence that it had had a day ago, instead it was replaced with a small, lost, look, Hilary felt even more sorry for her.

"Y-y-yes, I do have something to say, to all of you, well, I'll first start with Hilary."

Then, turning to Hilary, she said softly,"I-I'm really sorry, Hilary, for what I did to you, I wasn't thinking and, well, back then I didn't really care what happened to people. Well, now I-I've changed and I really want you to forgive me."

She looked up hopefully at Hilary, like a lost puppy dog.

Hilary's heart went out to her,"Of course, I'll forgive you," she said. "I can see that you've changed, and, well, I like your new version much better."

She grinned at Amanda, hoping to get a smile out of her. Amanda smiled weakly.

Turning to the adults, Amanda apologized for making them freak out and for scaring them.

The people who were her Mum and Dad stood up, the man said ,"Well, I think you'll be taking a few days off school to work things out ," he turned to Hilary and Jo ,"Don't worry, she'll be coming back next term."

"Just in time for something we've got planned," Jo said, grinning mysteriously.

Hilary grinned back, she loved surprises, turning to Amanda, she waved goodbye ",As I've already told you, I like your new version much better."

Amanda and her family walked out the sliding doors. As the smooth glass closed behind them, Amanda smiled, not just any old smile, but a smile of joy, happiness, friendship and, most of all, new beginnings.