Chapter Thirteen: Naomi Knox

I survive the show that night – barely. I play, but I don't play with any heat or substance, and I can tell the crowd knows it. I mean, they still cheer and scream and flail, but they don't drop their inhibitions; they don't evolve backwards and fall to the floor in howling fits of animalistic rage. When they do that, you know you've nailed it. That night, I do good, but I don't blow anybody's mind.

Can't say the same for Turner.

From what Hayden says, he destroyed the stage and caught that whole damn building on fire with his words. She says they were so laced with rage that he was spitting acid and burning holes in the fucking stratosphere.

Good for him.

After our set, I retreat back to the bus and fall asleep.

When I wake the next morning, I can't hold it back. I end up at the table in the front with my notebook open flat and my pen pressed so hard against the pages that the paper tears with every other word.

Blair and Dax watch me silently from across the table while the rest of the band put-puts around the bus like they've got nothing better to do. And I mean, hell, fuck 'em, I guess they don't. They know when I'm like this that something good's coming. Our last album? Yep. Happened just like this.

"You want to take a break?" Blair asks after a little while, scooping some of her bi-colored hair over her shoulder and adjusting the little black and white polka dot bow she's stuck in the front of it. She looks cute, very vintage. Me, on the other hand, I look like shit. I haven't showered or changed my clothes, and I know I probably smell like sweat and beer, but when I'm writing, nothing else matters.

I shake my head and wish I could confide in her. It might make me feel better if I shared my secrets with somebody I actually like. In fact, I think given the opportunity that Blair and I could be best friends. And I don't mean that in the whole shallow sort of, We like go every Friday and get our nails done together bullshit. I think Blair and I could be bury-the-body best friends. Too bad the walls I've put up are taller and longer than the Great Wall of China.

"Can I make you some coffee or something?" Dax asks next, uncrossing his long legs and standing up to stretch. "Something black, bitter, and cheap?"

I groan low in my throat and lean back, letting my head fall to the cushion behind me.

"Sounds amazing. Make a big pot and don't expect to share." I hear him laugh, but don't look up. Instead, I close my eyes and start to hum, putting my words to music. In a minute here, I'm gonna get up, grab my guitar and some headphones and fumble my way through to something epic. Works every time. It's just the way I roll.

"You gonna let us read any of that?" Blair asks as I sit up and open my eyes, glancing down at the mess of words that'll eventually turn into a song of some sort. Hopefully a good one. I shrug and spin the notebook around. All of my secrets are sitting there in code, hidden between the blue lines with cryptic phrasing and a horrible abuse of the English language that makes it nearly impossible to guess what I'm hinting at. There's enough to give people pause, to open up the idea of discussion, but nothing too personal, nothing too incriminating. And that's just the way I like it.

Blair reads the words carefully and taps her fingers on the table to get some kind of a rhythm going, and Dax steps up behind her, smelling like canned coffee and weed. The smell is oddly comforting, enough so that I shake out my hands and take my first breath in almost twenty-four hours. It hurts so much that it feels good, you know what I mean? It breaks up the tension in my chest and puts the briefest of pauses on my anxiety about tomorrow. March 15th. The six year anniversary of ... that.