I never thought we'd see you again

Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done! Now if you know what you're worth then go out and get what you're worth. But ya gotta be willing to take the hits, and not pointing fingers saying you ain't where you wanna be because of him, or her, or anybody! Cowards do that and that ain't you! Your better than that!

As Emily drove just outside the Illinois city limits, a song came on the radio that caught her attention. The Kansas song 'Carry on Wayward Son' played through the speakers of her car radio, and at that moment the song couldn't have fit the situation better. The drive to Lawrence, Kansas, was a long one. Over 8 hours in fact.

But it was something that she had to do. Emily had to make this trip, just to see. She knew that Severide wouldn't understand. That's why she didn't tell him where exactly it was she was going. Jay knew, and he was told not to tell Severide anything until Emily told him. 

Three Days Earlier

It had been almost a week since Emily had left the hospital, and it was driving her crazy not being able to work. She would call Jay every so often, asking him if they needed any help. A profile maybe. Jay would always answer no. Not wanting his sister to end getting hurt again. 

At around 1 pm everyday, Emily would sit down and start watching the daytime soap opera's. To her annoyance, she was starting to look forward to watching them. They had become the highlight of her day. 

She had forced Severide to go back to work, because, he was starting to do her head in. Every time she would start to fall asleep, Severide would wake her up - asking her if she needed anything. She knew that he was just trying to make sure that she was okay, but still - it was driving her crazy. Severide had been like this ever since the proposal. 

"Kelly... What are you doing?" Emily asked, not 100% sure what was happening in front of her own two eyes.

"Emily Halstead, will you marry me?"

"Severide, will you think about this" Emily said, confused about what Severide was even thinking. "I love you. But I can't marry you" Emily told him, Severide froze for a moment while emotion flashed over his eyes. Slowly, he got up off his knee and looked around the room. As if he was looking for a way out. 

"Okay" Severide said, placing the ring back into the pocket of his turn out gear. "Listen, I think I should go. Let you get some rest" Severide said, he planted a quick kiss on her head before turning to walk out of the room. 

"Severide wait. I love you. But I don't want to get engaged in a hospital room. I don't want this to be the memory's we have of this day" Emily said, trying to justify her answer. "Ask me again in a few weeks" Emily told him, kissing him before letting go and allowing him to walk out of the room. 

She watched him leave. In her heart she knew that she had done the right thing, but still it hurt her deeply. At any other time, Emily would have said yes to his question in a heart beat. But, really she was wondering if Severide was only asking her to marry him because she was in hospital - because he felt guilty that she was there. 

A sigh escaped Emily's lips as she listened to the sound of the TV playing the theme tune of the first soap that she would end up watching today. The more she watched, the more annoyed she became with herself. Just as she started to fall asleep she heard the sound of a fire truck pulling up outside her house. Emily found herself wishing that one of her neighbours houses was on fire, otherwise she would have to get up off the couch and open the front door.