My New Name

The General had saved us from the concentration camp, but he never hid us from the fear. Emily and I lived in constant fear that someone would find us, that someone would recognize us. I would find myself doing the same thing every night for over three months; waking up around midnight and going to talk to the General. He was my confidant. He was my friend in all of this hell.

The General had gotten us our papers about a week after we were smuggled out of the Ghettos. We were now his family, Elisabeth and Eva Muller. They weren't that different from our given names, but it was enough that to make us fake German citizens. We had gotten jobs in the city for seamstresses, thanks to the General. We had pulled off being normal German citizens thanks to him.

I would find myself talking to him every night for about three months about my day, regaling him on how many Nazis would come in and out of the shop, demands of repairs or suits and what not. He would listen intently, always asking me questions about who came in or what I had made or what I had mended.

One night, sometime in the middle of October (about three months after our rescue), I found myself curled into the arm chair that was in the Generals small study. I had just wanted to read, the General was soundly asleep like Emily was. I had picked up a book entitled Mein Kampf, a book that Adolf Hitler wrote. What this man wrote was complete and utter shit. I didn't even understand why the General had this book in his collection. The door opened and closed without much sound, so I didn't bother looking up.

"A woman who is literate is a dangerous one, is she not?" the General inquired.

"No more dangerous than a man with a gun," I muttered, putting the book down. "Why do you have this book, General? It's horrible." I said, looking at him.

"Hitler made it a required reading in everyone's home." He said, sitting on the edge of his desk that faced me. "Elyza, you know you can call me Vladek." He said softly. I looked down at my hands and then him again.

"I know," I said, standing and walking around. "Emily and I are earning enough now that we can get our own... I mean, if you want us to move out." I said softly. He chuckled softly and stood, watching me carefully.

"Elyza, you and Emily are my friends. You two are to stay here as long as it is safe." He said smoothly. I smiled and nodded, tucking pieces of hair behind my ears. The General took my hands and brought me over to his study chair. "Tell me about your day," He murmured as he perched himself on his desk.

I smiled and immediately jumped into informing him about the snobby German girls demanding dresses for a gala or some sort of dinner, the endless Nazi generals coming in and asking us to repair their garments. I hesitated before telling him that a Nazi officer almost recognized me. He stilled, looking pale as a sheet. "Miss Annette told him he couldn't have, Vladek. She told the officer I was a resident of France for the past decade and a half." I said quickly, standing and taking his hands. "We're still safe, my friend." I added.

The General looked at me, something sparked in his eyes. "We're not safe, Elyza. We need to be extremely careful now." He said; his voice dangerous. I nodded, fear consuming my faith and hope in surviving this hell.