blood and bonding

The next day at school was a slog. Lucian had awoken to his mother gone, a battered open door and bent slept on glasses. A sick feeling still sat in his stomach from what he heard last night. He just wanted his mum to be alright and get some rest, maybe get her arm checked up and take some time off work, but she was too caring, too selfless to do that.

Tiredness over his low spirit kept the day blurry. Not much work was done but he couldn't really care. Several people wanted to ask if he was ok, glancing worriedly but his eyes were drooped downwards, never seeing them. Lessons passed neither slowly nor quickly; time had no effect on Luc.

Like the usual, lunch was a quiet affair outside in the February air. Frost crystals dripping off trees like some kind of bitter frozen dream land. Fingertips too numb to move the sandwich wrapping, a head too heavy to take a bite. If it wasn't for the cold he could have drifted to a dense sleep right there. When the two figures approached him followed by new grinning faces it took more than a few seconds to process. Kris and the other boy, wearing a look of mean anger.

"Heard you got off maths last night. I'm guessing you snitched your way out. I know it was you."
Said Kris viciously.

"What...What are you talking about?" Luc murmured slurring his words in fatigue.

"You know, and even if you don't...I'll make you find out who did."

His thoughts hadn't thawed yet and he was struggling to make sense of this.
"Whoever has told anyone about whatever, wasn't me. Just go Kris I'm too tired."

This sounded like a threat in the ears of Kris. A challenge of her pride in front of the tough guys. She couldn't let a sensitive little nobody control her.

"Stand up wuss."

He frowned and stayed put, not awake enough to move if he'd wanted.

"Stand up and admit or fight. " she boomed

Several people started peering out of windows.

"Stupid coward I'll teach you. You got me suspended by telling your little secrets. Fight or I'll start it."

After moments of silence she turned to punch, almost hesitant, confused by whether she should be angry or let him go but she remembered who was watching and went for it. It was fast but the blood dripped slowly from his nose, not too painful but it hurt nevertheless. Still, no reaction from Luc.

Her stocky partner in crime joined in with a couple heavy kicks, just to get him on the ground. Poundings and punches followed. Shoots of pain shook through him but he just lay there groaning out quietly. Loud cheers and jeers stabbed his ears as he got beaten and beaten and beaten. His legs were stood on, arms thumped, face bruised.
After the number of people at the windows grew, the group eased away quickly and smoothly, noticing the lack of struggle from their victim. It wasn't fun unless they squirmed and screamed. It wasn't fun unless they could mock their weak attempt at fighting back. There was no fun left in the boy but at least Kris had got the revenge she thought she needed. The job was almost finished.

"Why don't you fight? Why don't you hurt me back? What's up in your head wimp?" Kris shouted as she backed away half laughing half angry in confusion.

With bruised and a bloodied face he rose slowly to sitting position and spluttered out as loudly as he could. "I don't believe in hurting people."

With an angry shake of the head Kris and her gang left Luc half conscious on the floor.

By this point heads were out of doors and a teacher or two were marching hurriedly towards the injured pupil. It was an extremely long minute of throbbing suffering until a girl stood above him and helped him up. Her face was a smudge in his unclear vision.

"Hey are you ok? What are your injuries? Can you hear me? What's your name?"
Words swarmed in his head to try and translate the sounds to meaning.

"Lucian. I'm fine I just. I just need water or something."

~

Three hours later and Lucian was being helped to the bus bay by Kiana the girl who'd helped him up. The last few lessons of the day were spent in the nursing room and arguing with a teacher called Miss Stroke that he could in no way ring his mother to get him from work. By the time the discussion had ended it was nearly time to get the bus anyway.

"So why did they beat you up?" Kiana asked plainly and with concerned deep brown eyes.

"No idea really. Got the wrong person I think,it didn't seem to stop them though. But thanks for helping me. I really appreciate it. "
Luc found her forwardness hard to match with his awkward social habits but wanted to keep up the conversation. She was a kind face in the midst of a hostile crowd.

"No problem, I couldn't exactly leave you there could I?"

"Everyone else did." He smiled sadly back.

"I couldn't have, anyway, do you have a number so I can check you don't die tonight"

"Well yes" he stated, surprised at her eagerness to be friendly. "My phone isn't the most reliable so if I don't get texts it's not me ignoring you."
He pulled out a battered 4 year old Nokia brick from his pocket, embarrassed, but Kiana didn't seem to judge him for it.

After numbers were exchanged Lucian limped off to the bus smiling a little more than he should considering the state he was in. As they parted Lucian couldn't help but notice how interesting she was. Frizzy brown curls and deep golden caramel skin. The most capturing thing about her though was the beaming smile. The whole ride home he just stared at his phone grinning. Unless this was another trick to take advantage of him (which he highly doubted) he had just maybe, perhaps gained a ....friend? No one had been close to him in years so even if all she would do is check up on his health this was good enough for him.
.

The house was cold and quiet. His mother sat on the sofa at the end of the kitchen reading so deeply she never noticed him walk up to her and jumped as she saw the beaten up body of her son.
"What happened?? Are you ok? Lucian come here."

"Yeah it looks worse than it is. Some kids just gave me a little trouble I'm fine." He said - still smiling.

"Is it reported? How do kids get away with this sort of thing?". His mother said concerned.

"I'm fine Mum. A few weeks and I'll be completely healed."

"I hope so. This better be the last time this happens. Back at your old school it was 4 or 5 times before they stopped....Lucian why are you grinning?"

"No one... I mean nothing."