Part 3

©DISCLAIMER: I DO NOT OWN BLUE EXORCIST! IT IS OWNED BY KAZUE KATO!

Break Down

PART THREE

It was low and quiet yet despite that, the voice filtered through the air, cutting through the silence like a hot knife to butter. A tiny gasp was sucked through rosy lips as Shiemi's pulse spiked in startle. It took her a moment to process the voice and her eyes widened once she did. She whipped around, her breath catching in her throat once she was faced with familiar blue eyes. Blue eyes that were staring at her in equal surprise.

"Rin..." The name escaped her lips in a gentle whisper and Rin blinked.

"Shiemi...what are you...why are you here?" He asked.

The look of shock on the blonde girl's face slowly ebbed away until it eventually turned into something softer as her eyes turned glassy.

"I'm so glad." She spoke quietly. Rin's brows pinched in confusion, mouth opening to speak before he was stunned into silence—the sight of tears streaming down her face causing his eyes to widen in alarm. He quickly came over to Shiemi, worry filling him, "Are you okay?" Shiemi stared at Rin once he was in front of her, nodding slightly in response. "Mm-hm." She hummed, a wavering smile coming across her face. "I'm alright."

Yet Rin found that hard to believe as the stream of tears became quicker. "Shiemi you're crying!" He panicked, his hands are raised but he didn't know what to do with them. "Why are you crying? Is it your wound?" He gazed at the medical tape around her forehead.

"I'm so relieved."

'Huh?'

Rin paused, tilting his head in confusion. Shiemi lifted her hands to her chest, resting them over her bosoms as her gaze lowered, eyes closing. "I'm so relieved." She repeated shakily.

"About what?" Rin questioned, lowering his arms to his sides. A sob tore from Shiemi's throat and before he could process it, she was hugging him tightly.

"What the—?!" He choked out. He could feel her body trembling against his own. Tentatively, Rin slowly brought his arms around her, gently holding her as she cried. One arm wrapped around her back while one of his hands settled atop of her head.

'Woah.' Rin thought, caught off guard at how his arms seem to engulf her, 'She really is small...' hearing her sob broke through his thought and he froze.

'Stop being so damn weird Rin. This is Shiemi and she's crying!' That thought made him steel his self-control, chiding himself for touching Shiemi so carelessly. Hell, if she wasn't crying she wouldn't even be touching him right now! He gripped her shoulders before he pulled her away from him.

"Hey." He spoke, voice firm. "What's wrong with you?"

Crap. Be gentler Rin. Gentler!

"I-I mean." He hurried to elaborate, "Why are you crying?"

Her big green eyes blinked at him, shiny and innocent...

'Someone so innocent shouldn't be with someone like you.' The thought felt like a punch to the gut and Rin clenched his jaw. He focused on the ache in his mouth to ignore the sting in his chest and stared at the blonde girl.

"What are you so relieved about that you're standing here bawling your eyes out?" Rin questioned. Shiemi's eyes lowered so that they were focused at Rin's clavicle instead of his eyes. It was silent for a moment before she sniffled, tugging on her sleeves.