XIII. TO TELL THE TRUTH

CHAPTER THIRTEEN
( TO TELL THE TRUTH )

CHAPTER THIRTEEN ( TO TELL THE TRUTH )

THE SIGHT BEFORE PIPER IS NOT an uncommon one—Estelle sitting at Gryffindor table, nestled in between her brother and James, laughing and leaning on the latter—but this fact doesn't make her want to vomit any less.

     She thinks, maybe, she'd be less disgusted if it weren't so glaringly obvious that James and Estelle are in love and if, just maybe, they would admit to it. Or even show any sign whatsoever of recognizing that their relationship is not as platonic as they pretend it is. At this rate, she'll keel over and die before so much as a measly confession comes from either of them. That would be incredibly disappointing...but not at all surprising.

     Looking at the two of them, they just fit. James looks like he belongs there, at Estelle's side, interacting with her family. Piper has no doubt that when Christmas arrives and he meets her parents, he won't have any issues getting along with them, either.

     "How are they not together yet?"

     Piper jumps at the sound of a voice beside her, and turns to see Lily Evans standing there, though the other girl isn't looking at her. She follows her gaze to see that, like her, Lily is watching Estelle and James.

     "Christ, Lily, you scared me," Piper hisses. "But you make a very valid point. I'm at a cross-roads, you know. Starting to wonder if I should just lock them in a broom closet and call it a day."

     Lily snorts at this, causing Piper to break out into a grin. "That would surely be something. But I think Elle deserves something a bit more romantic, don't you?"

"You're right, with all those romance novels she reads." Piper agrees. Though she would likely never admit to it, Estelle is a true romantic at heart, a complete sucker for dramatic love confessions and subtle displays of affection and everything in between. If anyone can give her the love story she deserves, it's James Potter, drama incarnate himself.

At the moment, he's making Estelle giggle uncontrollably at something he's said. Undoubtedly, it was something very stupid, but they both look happy and Piper supposes that's all that matters.

"She wasn't lying, you know," Piper begins, turning her body towards Lily. "When she told you she didn't like James romantically. She truly didn't realize her feelings for him, and as far as I know, that hasn't changed."

     "For a girl who's so intelligent..." Lily chuckles softly and shakes her head. "I hope they both figure it out soon. For their sake and everyone else's."

     "I'll bet it'll happen soon enough. He and his family are spending Christmas with us, y'know."

     Lily's head whips around, red hair fanning over her shoulders as she stares at Piper in shock. "You're kidding."