Chapter 5: Waiting

Chapter5: Waiting

** Tobias POV **

I guess today is supposed to be a big day for me. Nita and Ben went over a list of people today, explaining they were my friends. I tried to listen, and learn. But really – I felt nothing at all. I feel like I have been in a daze for...well, basically forever, since I don't actually recall ever not being in this daze. I stand up and stretch, I can feel my arms pulling up and my stomach tightening. I also practice my breathing, Nita taught me that. The way that breathing in through your nose and then out through your mouth slowly actually works to calm the body. And thus the mind.

I look at the clock – they are meeting with my group of friends right now. Along with Evelyn...I guess I should call her mom. One day. Evelyn was very honest with me – I was a little shocked when she spit it all out. Her marriage, Marcus, the abuse and leaving me. I still remember the way her eyes watered when she admitted she had left me. Left me with him. I really didn't know what to say, so I said nothing.

I am learning that works best, I am better off keeping my mouth shut. There are times when I speak out – I see the instant pain that I can cause. To someone I don't even know, but I also recognize they are so emotional about this situation. While I am not invested, not even a little.

I go over the list of people that Ben and Nita, and the rest of the team, will be meeting with today. I was given a very short overview.

1. Zeke: my best friend from Dauntless, which was a faction in Chicago. Hisbrother Uriah, who I had also known from Chicago, died at the Bureau. I was supposed to be watching over him, permy best friend's request.

2. Christina: My initiate from Dauntless, and friend.

3. Cara: a friend, she was also the sister of Will – who had died back in Chicago

4. Caleb: another friend, I knew him in Chicago as well

5. Matthew: He is from The Bureau, but had also become a friend to us all

6. Amar: was my instructor at Dauntless, he is currently out on a mission so I won't meet him for a while

I wonder what they are like. Nita and Ben said they didn't know them very well. So no further details were given, well aside from a physical description. I hope I can recognize or feel something when I meet them. Anything at all. I didn't with Evelyn. But maybe with them.

And then I hear the knock at the door. Breathe in, and then out. "Let's do this." I say to myself quietly.

"Please, come in." I say as I stand and open the door.