Chapter 7 - Mr. Brooks

"Good morning," I had a voice.

I raised my head. It was a white man standing next to a beautiful black long car that usually transported presidents.

"Morning, "I said.

I was busy washing my takkies one boring Saturday morning.

"You don't know me," he said, "I 'm Sven Brooks; I was your mother's employer from a while back."

"Oh ok," I said.

Please say more - Umlungu here by the township, it must mean something significant

"You know, your mother was loyal to me for over fifteen years, "he said.

He seemed like someone who was keen on some lengthy conversation, and I was not in the mood for such. I wanted him to say what he wanted and leave.

"Sir, how can I help you?" I said.

I pushed him to get to the point.

"I feel it's my responsibility to reciprocate the loyalty she showed me," he said, "by contributing to this community."

"Exactly how do you plan to do that," I asked, "how's it my problem, the district chief is at House No 56."

"I've been made aware of your dire straits," he said, "and I would love to take guardianship."

"Oh, you go nosing around people's life, "I asked.

There was deafening silence for about half a minute. It was a tense encounter.

"I 'm trying to be of help here," he said.

"Well I don't know about that," I said.

I was excited, though I did not want to show it.

"I've to consult with my family."

Who is this person?

"Obviously, you need time to think about it, "he said, "better still, here's my number, get one of the elders to give me a call so we can arrange a meeting."

He handed me a card with a couple of numbers. Even though my cousins took care of my groceries and clothing, the master, my mother's former employer, was standing in front of me proposing a piece-offering, no one had offered before. I could not believe my eyes. I did not show the excitement to him lest he became cocky.

"I'll think about it," I said.

"Would you organize a meeting with the elders?" he asked.

He looked back as he left as if to say something, then someone opened the back of his long car.

"I said, I'll think about it." I was a bit firm.

He has a driver, Wow -He must be wealthy

I was daydreaming. I explained everything to the elders. Most of the family members were reluctant to let me stay with Mr. Brooks reasoning that I would forget my Zulu roots. It was not as if my family had a choice. The family was incapable of fulfilling my growing needs. No family member was willing to assume the guardianship role. Mr. Brooks was a welcome relief to their already escalating child support. Many of the kids who were taken in by their parents' domestic employers turned out to do okay. I was ready and able to assume life on the other side.

The arrangement was supposed to be a welcome relief even though my family saw it as disrespect from the "white boy" as they referred to him. They took it as an insinuation that they could not take care of their own. It was the blatant truth, of course, it hurts; they had too much pride to accept it.