--26--

||

The cool night breeze blew through my hair as I stood on his balcony alone. My hands grasped the cold railing that would prevent me from plummeting to my possible death two stories down. No, I wasn't thinking of jumping. I was just enjoying the night sky and also because he told me to wait out here for him. I wasn't really in the best clothes to be standing out in the cold. I was wearing a black body hugging dress. He said he wanted me to dress nicely, but the thing was, we weren't going anywhere. He wouldn't tell me anything and I had been standing outside for about fifteen minutes. I turned around when I heard the sliding glass door open. There he was, walking out onto the balcony with a tray of fruit and two glasses in one hand while he had a wine bottle between his fingers in his other hand.

"What took you so long, Liam? I'm freezing my bum off out here."

I heard him chuckle.

"Sorry for the wait, love. I got..." he eyed me up and down, "distracted."

I followed him to his seating area he had on the balcony and we sat down. Taking another look at the tray of fruit, I saw grapes, strawberries, and blueberries. Liam poured out the wine into the glasses then handed me one.

"Liam...what are we doing? Why did I have to dress up? What's with the fruits and wine?"

He didn't answer me; just slightly smiled. I took a sip of the wine and ate a few grapes before he started talking.

"(y/n)...you're probably wondering why I asked you over here..."

I nodded quickly and he smiled again.

"Well...I wanted to talk with you...before I..."

But he looked away from me.

"Before you what, Liam?"

I reached out my hand for his and as soon as my skin had touched his, Liam took in a deep breath then slowly let it out. His eyes met with mine and it looked like he was in pain.

"Liam...what's wrong?"

"I have to leave, (y/n)..."

"L-leave?"

Why would he have to leave and what did he want to talk about?

"For awhile..."

I took my hand away from his and looked down at my wine glass.

"How long is awhile, Liam?"

I heard him get up from his seat and place himself beside me. He pushed my hair away from my neck and I could feel his breath beating at my skin.

"About six months...or so they told me. It was only supposed to be three, but something came up and they made it longer..." he whispered.

I softly gasped when I felt his lips meet the skin on my neck. This was new to me; Liam and I weren't a couple. So if he's all of a sudden showing feelings for me because he's leaving for half of the year...how long has he been holding them in?

"Liam..." I breathed out as he continued to leave feather-like kisses along my neck.

"Yeah?"

"Is this what tonight was all about? Why you brought out the wine and why you wanted me to dress up nicely? So you could tell me goodbye?"

He took his face away from my neck and slowly nodded.

"But if you're saying goodbye...why did I have to dress up? It doesn't make sense."

Liam sighed.

"I just...nevermind. It's stupid. I shouldn't even think of asking you to do this."