|| Thirteen ||

My senses succeeded in staying away for a long time; long enough that I was unable to hear or feel a single thing. The numbness still did its job of creating the allusion of complete emptiness; so absolute that you weren't even sure if you were breathing because the concept of having a functioning heart and mind didn't make sense. My eyes were still shut long after I first started hearing noise; I didn't truly care to open them ever again, and I didn't care to figure out what the noise was. I eventually noticed it was loud and close, but my nonfunctioning body didn't care for that.
Yet the last sliver of consciousness told me to open my eyes and face him as he pulled the trigger again.
I didn't realize that opening my eyes would abruptly turn my senses back on and throw me into a chaotic whirlwind, even more so when I realized who was standing in front of me. "J-Jesse?" I whispered inaudibly.
I blinked, looking down at my feet as the oncoming hailstorm of emotions was thrown at me until I realized there was blood on the ground. I shook my head, noise still blaring around me; voices that were trying so hard to get my attention yet the only thing I could do was shake my head, "N-No... No, no..."
I screamed as someone grabbed my wrist, ready to lunge at whoever it was until I realized it was Jesse pointing at something.
Leslie.
It wasn't possible. Crazy. Insane; I had completely lost my mind, it couldn't have been real. I heard a gunshot, there was blood... I looked down again and nearly passed out. The blood was there, yet it wasn't Leslie lying in it. It was Blake.
I stared down, mortified and shaking until I looked up again, my mind rapidly trying to take in the scene around me as my ears rang loudly. I looked towards the door, on the verge of a complete breakdown until I saw the last person standing in the room.
Dominic was standing at the door with a gun.
Regardless of whether I even thought it was real or not, without realizing it, I broke down into tears. Blinding, confused, painful sobs that took my breath away as I buried my face into my hands; I was too agonizingly lost to put the pieces together.
I jumped wildly as someone pulled my head up, looking up to see the brunette standing in front of me with his gun no where in sight. His voice was the first that I heard in the madness, "She's okay."
I was still in shock as he pulled me closer, protectively wrapping his arms around my waist as I tried to stop the rush of tears. They had built up the moment that I had parked outside the small motel; it was a long time before I realized that Dominic was holding onto me and Leslie was alive. When I wrapped my arms around her, I was oblivious that I was holding on with strength that must've been painful for her but she didn't seem to notice or care; we were both crying and laughing uneasily and deliriously as we realized we were both alive.
My senses came back in a dizzying rush, nearly enough to knock me off my feet but I forced myself to stand with my arms wrapped around Leslie. "We have to leave."
It was a quiet but firm statement, and I slowly rubbed my eyes with the back of my palm as I looked over at Jesse. He smiled at me sadly as he watched Leslie and I, but there was a twinge of nervousness in his eyes; something deeply troubling. I realized how stupid I was... I had stood with Leslie for at least twenty minutes and it hadn't even crossed my mind. I turned to face Dominic, not quite sure if I could manage to get the words out as my voice sounded hoarse and grave, "Dominic... Where is he?"
He locked eyes with me, knowing fully who I was talking about yet he didn't answer me instantly. As many other times, he didn't speak; he simply looked at me and somehow that offered more answers than a voice ever could. Jesse draped his jacket around Leslie's shoulders, answering without paying much attention, "He ran out, and we really need to go."
"R-Ran out?!" I stuttered immediately, alarmed by his words.
Jesse had already pulled Leslie from the room by the time Dominic firmly set his hand on my shoulder and looked down at me, "He can't hurt either of you."
I shook my head, taking a step back but I was too stunned to comprehend everything; I was simply left with a buzzing mind, ringing ears and the undying fear of that sociopathic redhead.
I jumped as Dominic picked me up, and I realized he had been talking to me for minutes yet I had never heard a word; I was too dazed anyways and most likely passing out. I shivered as the wind hit my bare arms as we stepped outside, looking into Dominic's car to realize Leslie had curled up in the front seat beside Jesse. Dominic set me in the back, climbing in beside me as Jesse sped out of the parking lot only seconds after the doors had been shut. I was tired, confused and drowsy and yet only one thing came into my mind as I leaned against Dominic and we drove away from the motel. One single thought was protruding the panic and misery, "Dominic..." I mumbled.
He glanced down at me, pulling his jacket over me as he waited for me to continue. The car drove smoothly along the abandoned highway, and there was only one destination I wanted to see. "Can I.. Can I go home?"
He watched me for a moment, ignoring the rain that had began falling. It was only a few seconds that he didn't reply, yet those were the only few seconds of hesitation I needed. His eyes were conflicted and I knew he wanted to say yes, but he didn't. "Quinn it'd be too dangerous for your family," he responded quickly as I looked away, "Just not yet."
I scoffed miserably, brushing the hair from my eyes, "Don't bother lying."
"Have I ever lied to you?" He asked rhetorically.
It was silent in the car as rain splattered against the windshield, Jesse keeping his worries to himself and Leslie already asleep. "Not for a while. It might not be for a while but I promise I'll take you home."
Shock was the only reason that I managed to fall asleep.