Settling In

Noa stepped into the house hesitantly, glancing around. It was just as it was in the photos of it online, albeit a bit messier. It had an almost rustic feel to it, with wooden floors and paneling and ivory-white, slightly chipped pain adorning the walls. He stepped into a room with a small table that had several people sitting around it on beanbags, a game of Card Against Humanity spread out before them. There was another large beanbag in the corner of the room, a laptop plugged in nearby and blankets and pillows strewn about it. The girl with the purple hair spoke up, knocking Noa out of his own thoughts.

"So, this is Noa. He's the new kid moving in with us." A girl with long, black hair stood up and slung an arm around his shoulder.

"Heya, mate! Welcome to our humble abode," she chimed in a cockney accent. "My name's Zoe, by the way. This here," she gestured to a lanky man with long, black hair tied up into a ponytail, "is Apollo. He doesn't live here, but he hangs out a lot." She jabbed her thumb in the direction of a man with caramel colored skin and an undercut. "He's Charles. The ginger is Cecil, and this lovely lady," she winked at the one with purple hair, "is Ash." Ash snorted and shoved Zoe off of Noa, muttering something incoherent.

"Anyways," Apollo chimed in, "we were playing a game of cards. would you like to join us?" he asked, his voice warm and friendly.

Noa let out a breath he didn't know he was holding and smiled, nodding his head. "Sure, that would be great, actually."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"This," Ash began, "is your place. Sorry it's so tight, but we need five people here for a reason," she said, smiling apologetically and gesturing to a small couch that was tucked behind a curtain the living space. "I added the curtain a few days ago, since I figured you'd want as much privacy as we can provide."

Noa smiled. "Nah, it's okay. I appreciate you adding the curtain, though," he said, taking a deep breath.

"It's no trouble," she replied. "Don't wanna scare you away too soon," she chortled, clapping him on the shoulder. He snorted.

"I'm so tight for money, I wouldn't go anywhere if you guys were all serial killers," he said, his tone a mix of joking and honest. Ash's smile softened, and she nodded. "Anyways, it's," she checked her phone, "One A.M., holy hell. I need to be getting some sleep. Good night." Noa nodded.

"Okay, good night Ash."