Chapter 20

I seriously admire, you guys' loyalty if you're still here. I suck at getting you guys updates and when I do, I still manage to see some of you still here. And for that I seriously love you guys. So anyways here's a nice fluffy chapter to make up for the feels I gave you guys in the last chapter. <3

"You sure we can't just say no? Cause I don't feel like taking you guys into another suicide mission. It's gonna kill my resumé." Joker asked.

"Joker, I promise, we aren't gonna die. I've got this handled. We'll just go in there, deal with these assholes and get out. Simple as that" I said patting his shoulder, lightly.

"Simple, huh, that's not something you hear around this crew" he said fiddling with some controls.

I shook my head with a light chuckle as I started towards my cabin.

As soon as my cabin doors shut, I face planted onto my bed.

It was uncomfortable as all hell, but it's mine.

I rolled over and stared at the ceiling. The hum of the Normandy's engines started to lull me to sleep, almost like a lullaby.

Lullaby.

I sat up and walked over to my desk, pulling a small box from one of the drawers.

I walked over to my bed and sat down as I took the top off of the lid and pulled out my most prized possesion.

My music box.

When I was younger, I found this music box under my pillow at the orphanage and yet no one there could explain where it came from. It was clearly old because it didn't look anything like the newer models of music boxes, if you could find one.

I winded it up in the back and opened the lid. The sweet tune echoed through my cabin. The same tune I had always fallen asleep to as a kid.

I hummed the tune for a little while before I added in the words.

Silver light
She turned her face up to the starlit sky
And on this night began to wonder why
She knew that soon the day would come

In the orphanage, I had a very few amount of friends, but one of the friends I did have heard the tune and made up lyrics.

FLASHBACK

I winded up my music box and placed it beside me.

"What's that?" My friend, Adriana asked.

"Its a music box. I found it a while back, no one claimed it so I just kept it" I explained.

"Cool. That's a pretty tune it's playing" She said picking it up and examining it. It was small and round, almost like a table. When you opened it, there was a little ballerina, in the middle that spun when you winded it up. On the inside of the lid, there was a picture of the moon and stars. At the ballerina's feet, there was a small plaque that read

Daughter of the Moon.

I didn't know what it meant, but I liked the tune.

"Silver light. She turned her face up to the starlit sky. And on this night began to wonder why" Adriana sang.

"What're you doing?" I asked.

"Singing. The tune sounds like a lullaby, therefore every lullaby needs lyrics to go with it." She explained.

"Not true. Some lullabies don't have lyrics." I told her.

"Well this one is gonna. Here, you can help me with the words" She said taking a pad of paper and a pen from under her bed and handing it to me.

I took the pad and began to write down some lyrics.

END OF FLASHBACK

Ever since that day, when I wound this up, the lyrics instantly came to me. I guess I never could forget them.

Born to be
An heir of beauty and serenity
Into this world she entered quietly
To her surprise she was the one

Destiny was close behind her
Phantom of borrowed life
And the sea was a reminder
Mirror of given light

Although, I damn well knew I couldn't sing worth shit, I still couldn't help but to sing along to my childhood lullaby.

Then one day
The sign she'd waited for in skies of grey
Traversed a winding road and came her way
She found the love she hoped she would

But she knew
That she had promises to stay true to
The dormant daughter of the silver moon
Then all at once she understood

The lullaby that we had written just for so well with the art on the music box and to be honest, my life.

Destiny was close behind her
Phantom of borrowed life
And the sea was a reminder
Mirror of given light

From the sky
She watched the life
She'd known she would leave behind
Said goodbye
And gave her people
Life through her sacrifice

The music slowed to a stop as the song ended when I sang the last words.

"Well, well, well, I knew you had a voice, Shepard, but not like this."

I turned around to see Garrus leaned against the door frame with his arms crossed.

I'm pretty sure if turians could smirk, I'm pretty sure, I'd be getting a shit-eating grin from my boyfriend at the very moment.

"How long have you been standing there?" I asked getting up and walking over to him.

"Oh you know, the entire time" Garrus said.

"If a certain little bird happens to tell anyone that I sing anything other than battle cries, that little bird is sleeping in the main battery." I said glaring at him and crossing my arms.

He leaned down and planted a kiss on my forehead.

"I won't tell anyone, Commander. You have nothing to worry about." He said wrapping his arms around my waist.

I wrapped my arms around his neck.

"That's what I thought." I said kissing him.

He let his hands wander around my back as he deepened the kiss.

Someone cleared their throat over the overcom.

"Uh, Commander. I don't mean to interuppt but we'll be landing in a few minutes." Joker said.

"Joker, you weren't spying on us, were you?" I asked afraid he had heard me singing.

"N-No Commander. I tuned in just a second ago, honest." Joker said.

"Just making sure" I said.

I heard the overcom click, meaning Joker tuned out.

"We have a few minutes until we dock" Garrus said running his hands down my sides.

"Indeed we do" I said.

"I think I might some training in the human tradition of "making out". Will you do me the honor of coaching me, Commander Shepard." Garrus asked.

"I could be glad to help, Mr. Vakarian." I said pulling him closer and kissing him again.