Chapter 20 | Two Sides to Every Coin

Shae gritted his teeth as he unlocked the gate. He was pretty peeved that protecting those elves had pushed off his shift until later in the day. Keeping his patients on such an air tight schedule was what kept most of them from getting too out of line. Criminals need discipline. That was a lesson he'd learned the hard way, many times. 

"They'll be restless." He informed Ryan, "Good training for you, I suppose. At least we don't have to deal with Ripper today. Dr. Angel will be tending to his treatment as a result of his outburst." 

"At least I won't get choked, but I still will be getting sexually harassed." Ryan replied with crossed arms.

"They could do much worse than want to fuck you." Shae pointed out.

"Hm, that's true. I'm shocked I don't hear Croc fucking Kuza's brains out. It's all I heard when we lived together." He grumbled.

Shae swiped his card through the keypad of the first door. "How exactly does that work? He's so much smaller than Kuza."

"You're asking me that question? You might be a foot smaller than Croc, but Yuki is a Hell of a lot smaller than Mike." He replied.

The demon dug his nails into his palms. "We very rarely engage in sexual acts, but it's none of your business what goes on in our bedroom."

"Huh? You just- never mind." He sighed as he leaned on the wall beside the doorway.

"What's got you do glum, RyRy?" Dusk inquired, tip toeing across a vine she'd stretched across the room. 

His arms remained crossed as he replied, "Please stop calling me that."

"What would you prefer I call you?" She asked. 

"My name." He deadpanned.

Dusk hopped back to the ground, staying on her tip toes. She reached her hands over her head in a stretch and a desperate attempt to draw his attention. "That is your name!"

"It's a variation of my name that only my friends can call me." 

Her spirits fell quickly, "I thought we were friends."

For some reason unknown to him, he felt bad for upsetting her. He wasn't scared of her or anything like that. She was locked up after all, with her powers being muted. No, it wasn't fear, but perhaps empathy. 

"Hm, I meant to say only my close friends can call me that. We haven't known each other long enough for that, but friends, I guess so." He wasn't the type that smiled much. When he did, it was only a little smirk. The tiny grin he offered her did still make her happy.

"Good. I don't have a lot of friends." She pouted.

"That tends to happen when you burn down an entire village." Shae numbly replied.

Dusk glared at him, "You know that wasn't me."

"Of course it wasn't." He muttered, "We're a little behind schedule today. I'd appreciate it if you took your meds without any fuss." 

She swayed her hips as she walked back to her bed. Dusk collapsed into the sheets, keeping her back turned to them. Yesterday she'd forced so much energy on being seductive. Today, she was acting like a bratty child. Shae had warned Ryan that she turned personalities over like a leaf but he wasn't expecting it to be like this.

"Why should I be nice to you? Why should I help you? No one's ever nice to me. No one ever helps me." She murmured.

Ryan began to step forward but the demon put an arm in front of him. Shae narrowed his eyes, telling his trainee to step down from this fight. He knew to maintain respect towards authority. Once he got some ground of his own in this place, he'd make efforts to change their ways. Micah understood you catch more bees with honey. He was a vampire, though. Ryan should know better than to think a demon could ever muster the same thoughts.