Ch3: The Hogwarts Express

The cherry-red metal of the Hogwarts Express gleamed in the mid-morning sunlight, the bustling crowd of students and families seemed smaller, and more subdued than any other that Harry could remember experiencing. The occasional familiar face stood out, though not quite so much as the missing ones did. Whether by choice or- or not, Harry thought grimly, the number of students attending Hogwarts this year was smaller than it should have been.

With a brief shake Harry pulled himself out of his thoughts as he turned to follow Ron and Hermione across the platform and into the nearest open entrance onto the train. Harry ignored the heads that turned and the whispers that started up as he passed by, and Ron slowed his pace so the two were walking together, as if he could shield Harry from the stares.

"Come on you two," Hermione said as she stepped up into the train, a wicker basket gripped precariously under one arm and in the other hand a large trunk that should have been immovable but was made portable through a handy feather-light charm.

"Here," said Ron stepping forward and taking the basket from Hermione. "Let me take the bloody cat, Hermione, you'll end up dropping the poor sod." He had hoisted his own charmed trunk onto his shoulder and carried the basket containing Crookshanks tucked up against his chest. Every so often a forlorn 'mrrrooowl' came from the basket and Hermione smiled up at Ron as he muttered the occasional comforting word to her cat, not aware of the bookworm's warm gaze.

Harry smiled knowingly and followed his two friends as they searched for a compartment. He was only carrying his trunk, and the absence of the once usual bird cage and its inhabitant stung Harry keenly. He was reminded of Hedwig often, and her loss still hurt.

All the losses still hurt, he thought as Hermione exclaimed and led them into a nearly full compartment, the whistle of the train signalling the start of their journey. Inside was Neville Longbottom, Dean Thomas, Luna Lovegood and, to Harry's surprise, next to her sat a dark featured boy he recognised as Blaise Zabini. Neville stood up to greet them and Harry again had to hide his shock – the once small, admittedly meek boy was now almost as tall as Ron, and was much broader across the shoulders. Harry grinned as Neville clapped him on the shoulder in greeting.

"Harry, good to see you. How're you doing?"

"Good, thanks Neville – yourself?" Harry asked, sitting next to his housemate and trying not to let his eyes wander over to the Slytherin and Ravenclaw, who looked to be discussing something from one of Luna's books of fantastical creatures.

"Not bad. Bit strange, going back after everything, isn't it?"

Harry nodded – he felt the same way. "It is a bit, yeah. Probably more for you than me – I just sort of feel like I've taken a year off. Well, from school, anyway. Must be weird, going back to Hogwarts after being there last year."

"It wasn't really Hogwarts last year though, was it?" a voice said from across the compartment and Harry looked over at Zabini, who was frowning.

"How do you mean?" Hermione asked, having listened in on the conversation from her spot across from Harry – a book lay briefly unattended in her lap, and Harry recognised it as Hermione's own worn copy of 'Hogwarts; a History'.

"Blaise is right," said Neville nodding. "Nothing that makes Hogwarts Hogwarts was around last year, you know? There wasn't any competition, for Quidditch or for the House Cup. We barely learnt anything, and the- I don't know, something just... Wasn't there."

"The magic," Harry and Hermione said at the same time, and grinned at each other while the others, minus Dean, looked confused.

"Of course there was magic," Ron said slowly, "It's Hogwarts."