Servanthood

your POV

---you @age 8---

I stand, waiting for my master's wishes. "SERVANT!" He called, not realizing I was right there. I'm looking at the floor, as I'm not allowed to look him in the eyes. "Oh, you're there. I need another book. fetch me one from the library. Make it interesting." He says, and I bow, in my black trousers and green tunic, my plaited hair falling over my shoulder. I smile, loving the sound of his voice. If I had the years of a human, I'd be about ten. But even though I'm a Midgardian, I have the years of an Asgardian. It's odd; I age as a human for the first 18 years of my life, then I'll stop growing until I reach 60 Asgardian years, when I'll get wrinkles and such, again growing older. I'm about eight  right now, though. My master is already fully grown.

I hurry off to the library, sprinting when I'm out of sight. I'm not supposed to run, but it's the only way for me to get there fast enough. I'm faster, and stronger than a normal Midgard, since I constantly have to use and maintain the giant doors, books, and devices used by the Asgardians, them being as strong and fast as they are with their powers and such. I grunt, pushing open the GIGANTIC library door. It's a bit difficult to open, but any normal human couldn't even budge it. Even that Captain America dude from the 60's. He disappeared a long time ago, though. Assumed dead. Oh well.

Forcing my thoughts of my birth planet out of my mind, I focus on the task. What would Master Loki like to read? I remember reading a book called Song of the Sparrow. It was about Celtic and Irish folklore, king Arthur and such. It was in the form of a long poem. He might like that... it was my favorite book though. I wasn't sure if I really wanted him reading it. I'm running out of time, though, and I have no choice. I grab the book (It's half as tall as me!) and run back to his room, covering up my panting, and walking in calmly, setting it gently next to him. He's fallen asleep a few pages before the last one. I would move him, but I'm not allowed to touch him unless it's for a fitting purpose. Plus, how was an eight year old going to move a 100 year old, fully grown Asgardian? I end up getting the queen to move him to his bed, and I clean his room that night, not sleeping. Whatever... it's not like I would've been able to sleep anyway.

---timeskip to you @ age 13. You've had insomnia this whole time, only sleeping every three days or so---

Master Loki's asked me to bring him a few specific books, and I'm on my way to him, when everything goes dark, and I trip, only one thought going through my mind. no! I have to bring him his books!  As I faintly hear the books hit the ground, and someone angrily shouting "SERVANT!" as I lose consciousness.

-when you wake up-

I sit up, looking around me. "You shouldn't work until you drop." I hear Master Loki say, and I whip my head towards him, remembering last minute I'm not allowed to look at his eyes, closing my own. I immediately lower my head, lips trembling, opening my eyes.

"S-Sorry, M-Master." Is all I say, and I stand back up, seeing the books nonchalantly tossed on a desk. I'm in the palace infirmary. I go over to the books, and put them in alphabetical order, taking them with me to Loki's room, putting them on his desk. I feel Master Loki follow me, and then watching me. I don't see him, so I know he's invisible, and I keep my eyes down to the floor, so I don't accidentally look at his eyes. I begin dusting the room, his shelves, carefully picking things up, and putting them down, and making sure everything is perfectly clean. I remember the angles they were at, placing them exactly where they were found. I then make the bed, shine his armor, and wash all his clothes. I notice some of his breeches have a tear, and I take a chair and some sewing supplies.

I sit, and begin sewing. I sew them perfectly, again, making sure you couldn't tell the difference. As I'm putting the last few stitches in the pants, I prick my finger. My eyes widen, and I immediately stand, knocking his pants to the floor, trying to keep the blood away. I suck the blood off, and it clots quickly. I bite my thumb a little more, enjoying the pain a little. It distracts me from the fact the he just watched me drop his pants on the floor. I wash my hands, then finish the sewing job. I'm shaking, aware that he's watching from the shadows, still. I take his pants and wash them three times in a row, taking them to hang dry with the other clothing. I do some other chores, then see the clothing is dry. I finish folding them and putting them away, and see the sun start to rise. I smile, and go stand where Master Loki normally finds me waiting in the morning.

I hear him leave, then he comes back, visible. He pauses, I assume looking at me. "How early do you normally come in to stand there and wait for me? You know you can sleep longer." He says. I'm aware he just watched me chore the night away, but decide to play along.

"Yes Master." I say, looking at the ground.

"Go to bed. You have the day off." He says. I almost snap my head up in surprise, but catch myself, looking to the side instead.

"Oh! T-thank you, M-Master." I say, heading to my room. I sleep the whole day, but quickly get back to my routine schedule within the next few days.

---timeskip to you @ age 18---

Queen Frigga has taken me under her wing, since Loki recently disappeared again. He'd disappeared and reappeared frequently, but I haven't seen him for about a year. Frigga has taught me the warrior way, but also more about illusions and magic. I can preform minor spells, but my singing is the most improved of everything I've learned. That, and my battle prowess. I'm the lead singer for parties and gatherings and such, now. That's my main job, though I still maintain Master Loki's room, whether he's there or not. I caught him crying in bed once, but immediately left. I don't think he knows it happened.

Why was he crying? I knew he'd occasionally come back to visit the castle for nostalgia. He'd heard that Frigga, his mother, had died. She taught me everything I know, but died somewhat recently. I didn't know what I'd do now. Master Loki is basically gone, but I suppose I'll continue to organize the singing for events, and clean Loki's room.

I'm taking Loki's spare helmet back from getting polished, and I walk through the throne room. I stand at the side, my way being blocked by Odin and Thor's conversation. There's others in the room, the servants have been called for Thor's announcement. I'm lucky I stepped in when I did.

"It greatly pains, and grieves me to say this." He begins, his voice filling the room. All the girls swoon, but I much prefer the voice of Loki, and I stay standing. "I have held witness of Loki's death." All around me, I hear sighs of relief, and gasps, but my mind shuts down, and I cannot function, dropping Loki's newly shined helmet to the ground with a clang. Everyone turns to stare, my skin turning ghostly pale, my emerald green dress, and crystal tears giving away who I was. Loki's personal servant, the one taken in by Frigga. Now, both my masters are dead.

What will I do now? All I've ever lived for was serving my master Loki. I know I won't hold the head singer's position for long, as I flee the room, only certain of one thing.

I'm running away to Midgard.