Chapter 26

The light pattering of rain spattered faintly against the window pane behind my curtain as I opened a page of my biology textbook, the pages fresh and crisp and clean. I got out my notes, pierced the thin paper with my blotchy biro. With all the events that had taken place over the pas few weeks, homework had been fiercely, and wrongly, neglected. I sighed as I began neatly copying the diagram of a cell onto my page. Biology was constant. Something that didn't change; at school it was the one subject that I was good at.

Ever since I had put Oscar out of my mind, nearly two weeks ago, I had slept better. Eaten more. Started to get up when it was still light outside, go for walks with my dad on the beach, not take my job at the Bush for granted. On reflection, I had a lot to be thankful for.

Outside, I heard a distant, familiar growl that was unmistakably Maverick's car. I drew aside my curtains, saw him pull up aside my dad's truck in the driveway, slip out of the driver's side, the grey hood of his sweatshirt pulled up against the sheeting rain. He looked up at my window. Waved. I grinned back.

Homework could wait.

As Maverick slouched up the path that led to my door, I heard the television that had been buzzing incessantly downstairs for the past half-hour stop, suddenly. My dad's worn blue flats scuffed against the carpet as he moved towards the door. "Maverick, lad." He had unlocked the door, the chain brushing against the door frame lightly. "Nice to see you. Come on in."

"Nice to see you too, sir." I heard Maverick slip off his own trainers. "How's the project going?"

"It's good, thanks. Only going to be another couple of weeks, I'd say."

"That's great news."

I crossed the landing and sat waiting on the stairs as Maverick and my dad made small talk.
Fishing, music. Me.

"How is she?" I heard Maverick whisper.

"Better." Dad slapped him on the back cheerily. "All thanks to you. She wouldn't have gotten over this so quickly if you hadn't been here."

I saw a cherry-red blush spread across Maverick's cheekbones as he laughed. "Don't be silly," he murmured. "Reece did this herself. It was nothing to do with me."

"It was everything to do with you," I corrected him, slipping slowly down the stairs so my face finally came into view. I met my dad's gaze. He smiled, softly. "In any case, we're proud of you, Reece." he said. "Don't forget that."

I let him kiss my forehead, the stubble scratching roughly against my cheek, and then he straightened. "I'm just popping out to get some groceries, honey. I'll be back soon."

"Groceries?" Now my dad was obviously out to impress. Talk about changing the status quo. "Yes. You two go spend some time together."

Maverick looked sideways at me, gave me a quick, momentary smile. I sighed. "Okay. Just don't forget your keys."

Dad rolled his eyes, but I saw him pat his pocket anyway just to check. Maverick waited until Dad's truck had pulled away into the drizzly morning before looping his arm around my waist, kissing me tenderly. "Good morning."

I kissed him back for a moment, then rested my palms on his shirt. The fabric was soft and cool on my bare skin. "I was doing my biology homework."

"Sorry." His teeth grazed my ear once, twice. "I always arrive at the most inconvenient times. Would you rather I leave you in peace?"

Smiling, I bit the inside of my cheek. "No." Maverick's lips found mine again and we stood there in the hallway, the rose-patterened carpet beneath our feet, the shaded over-head lamp casting dim shadows over our skin in the gloomy morning, our lips moving slowly and warmly together as the rain fell outside onto the slippery tarmac. He slid his hand around my neck and cupped my chin so that I was looking straight into his eyes. "Want to come for a walk with me?"