Chapter 3: Fracture

For a while, his dull mind had floated in unconsciousness - but then images danced again before his eyes. Lara. And her harsh, hurtful words, and that laughter which had destroyed him.

Waiting? For what?

(...)

"Waiting? For what?" She had said, staring at him. Damn, everything was easy for her. Too easy.

"This can't be done like this. Drop the bomb without anything more." He'd replied, still half dressed.

Kurtis had just left Anna in Croft Manor with her grandmother - that weird old lady who peered at him behind curtains - and then met Lara in a London hotel, for she had no desire to cross paths with her mother.

Not that he cared at all. They had been in much worse places. As soon as he'd opened the suite door, he'd immediately lifted her in his arms and carried her to bed while she laughed.

That happiness had lasted half an hour. Then, everything went to hell.

Sitting in a lotus position, with the sheets still tangled around her waist and her long, brown hair falling between her breasts, Lara watched him dress abruptly after she'd brought up the damned subject up again – with that glance of hers, halfway between disbelief and impatience. "Waiting will only worsen things." Lara brushed a damp lock of hair off her face. "The sooner she knows, the better."

Kurtis didn't answer. He slipped into his pants and began to fasten the belt.

She knew better than to provoke him when he insisted on silence. She shouldn't have provoked him - but she did it anyway. "What are you afraid of?"

Lara watched him stand still, his broad back, still pearly with sweat, suddenly stiff. He didn't turn around. "What do you think I'm afraid of?" He answered, her voice seemingly calm, but with a point of tension she knew well.

"You tell me." Lara kicked the sheet away. "I didn't expect this from you. Well, actually, I did."

She jumped up and began to dress too. Out of the corner of the eye she saw Kurtis turning toward her and staring at her - that intimidating glance that could not actually intimidate her, but still make her shiver.

She shouldn't have fought back. But she did anyway.

"You shouldn't project your fears on Anna." Lara said as she slid into her jeans. "You'll spoil her."

"I haven't projected anything on her." Kurtis muttered. "Except for that damn... thing."

Lara let out a long sigh and rolled her eyes. "Stop being so dramatic. It's no big deal."

"What?" He was looking at her with a strange expression, confused and angry at the same time.

She should have stopped - but she didn't. "You're making a mountain out of a molehill. Yes, Anna has inherited the Gift, so what? If not for that damn thing, as you call it, she would now be dead."

"Oh yeah, thanks, that's true. I didn't notice." Kurtis snorted. "Guess that solves all my problems."

Lara glared at him. Then she began to fasten her bra. "Leave the sarcasm to me."

"As you wish, M'lady."

She felt a bitter aftertaste in her mouth upon hearing that nickname.

"If you don't tell her, I will."

"Don't."

"Why not?"

"My daughter, my legacy."