Chapter 12: Chosen

The flight to Egypt was sad, despite Jean Yves being excited about their arrival, an enthusiasm born of interest, of course, but honest, after all.

Usually Anna would annoy Lara on flights – which were rarely short-timed, in her case – with lots of mindless chattering, moving around in her seat, strolling along the corridor or bothering the cabin crew with insightful questions. Now, the girl sitting next to her remained silent and motionless, at times looking out the window, at times dozing slightly. She didn't eat, she didn't sleep, and she answered everything in monosyllables.

Lara had no intention of pressuring her to speak. Anyway, she already knew everything she needed to know. Anna was angry with her, angry at him and, being in her teens, she didn't know how to manage that anger. For the first time, none of her requests and protests were answered – neither good nor bad. She just didn't know how to react.

As for herself, Lara took advantage of that sudden calm to reflect – and by the time the plane landed at the Cairo airport, she had made a decision.

(...)

Anna regained her vitality at Jean Yves' sight, who, for a change, had gone to pick them up at the airport – something never seen before. He must be really impatient, Lara thought sarcastically as she looked at her daughter, suddenly merry and jumpy again, run to Uncle Jean and jump up to him like a frog, hook to his neck and stick a sloppy kiss on his cheek, which he tolerated without complaining. Look at her, Lara growled inwardly. The anger has passed.

"Dear Lara, you can't know how much I appreciate that you changed your mind!" The Egyptologist smiled as he ran to embrace her effusively. Like old times, Lara just tolerated his embrace. "I didn't know what to do to convince you to come here." He peered over Lara's shoulder. "Where's Kurtis?"

Still clutching his huge arm, Anna looked up at Jean. "Dad couldn't come, he's on an important mission." She stressed the last words raising her finger. "But he sent me on behalf of the Lux Veritatis' order."

Lara discreetly covered her mouth while Jean laughed openly. "Très bien! So, let's not waste time. We must find out what those illustrious knights want from you, n'est pas?"

But the British explorer raised a hand, stopping the Frenchman's bubbling enthusiasm. "Halt. Those knights are dead. They have waited, surely, a long time to deliver such an important message." She glanced sideways at the girl, who looked at her annoyed. "It won't matter they wait a little longer. We rest tonight at the hotel, and tomorrow we leave for al-Fayoum, understood?" Resigned, Anna nodded and ran to pick up her luggage a moment later when Lara leaned towards Jean and whispered. "I need to talk to you."

(...)  

She entered the small motel room before Kurtis and didn't blink when he closed the door behind them. The room was honestly horrendous and filthy, but he didn't apologize or waste time looking for excuses – not that she was expecting them either.

"You'll stay here until I give you new instructions." The former Legionnaire said, dropping a bag on the stinking bed. "I will come from time to time to see you, and I will bring you food, but you can't leave here. Gotcha?"

Barbara nodded. She was standing in front of him, her hands crossed in her lap. She didn't want to show how uncomfortable she felt alone with him in such a narrow room. His manly scent came in intense waves. Again, her delicate nose played tricks on her.

Of course, it wasn't about him. Any other mortal – she hadn't got used to being among them yet – made her feel equally uncomfortable.

"You won't leave this room, you won't answer the phone, you won't open the door if it's not me." Kurtis continued, striding across the room, checking every corner, lifting carpets, pulling curtains. Barbara had to dodge him more than once. "You won't go near the window, you won't open it, you won't pull back the curtains, you won't play music or turn on the TV."