Landing at Plum Island

Fifteen

Madeleine

I began to shiver as the small row boat sloshed across Gardiner's Bay in the darkness of the early morning. Ideally, we would have taken a battleship and blew the top off of this laboratory, snatched the Loric, and left after flipping off the Mogadorians with the help of the US military. Unfortunately, Adam was convinced that the government was actually working to help the Mogs for some twisted reason, so we were left alone in a row boat we lifted. The wind blew my tangled, knotted, desperate-for-a-wash hair around as I zipped up a jacket we found in the hatch of our stolen Tahoe. Over the night, I found myself unable to cry any longer. When I slept, I was thankful I didn't dream of the helicopter crash again. It was all that had been on my mind ever since I made it happen, and the aching in my heart only stopped when I was unconscious. Out like a light. Dead to the world.

Kind of like those guys you killed who were just doing their job.

I grimaced at the thought. In front of me, Nine rowed in silence. He was exhausted, both mentally and physically, but in these moments, I admired him for his stubbornness. He never gave up on his friends, and he knew that he might have to sacrifice himself if that meant saving the others. My heart ached more at the thought of losing him in these early morning hours. He was a suicidal maniac who never cared about the outcome when it came to him being hurt, but damned it be someone he loved. Nine was loyal to a fault, and I prayed to whatever God that was out there to keep him safe.

Beside me, Adam began to tell us quietly about the layout of Plum Island. "When I left here last week, security was in panic mode, because a seventeen year old was able to slip in to a government test facility run by Homeland Security." I noticed the triumphant tone in his voice. "It's going to be so much harder to get in now, I'm sure. They claim to be the Animal Disease Center, but really, they specialize in forcing genetic mutations on helpless animals."

Nine shook his head. "That's fucked up in itself, let alone holding teenagers hostage."

Adam nodded. "I saw Chimaera when I was inside. I tried to sneak them out, but I was unable to."

"What's that?" In my mind, I pictured a creature from Greek mythology with the head of an eagle, body of a lion, and tail of a serpent.

"It's an animal back from Lorien that can shape shift into any creature it wants, mythical or real," Adam explained calmly.

"And they were testing on them?"

"Oh, definitely." Adam nodded his head with a disgusted face. "Some were scarred and battered. It was awful to look at." The rogue Mog began to explain the basic layout before he mentioned, "If they're here, they're being held underground with the animals. Above ground, the biologists make the lab appear to be strictly friendly tests. Below, it's like something out of a horror story."

Nine gritted his teeth as we came closer to the island shore.

"Stop rowing and let us float towards shore," Adam whispered. "They have cameras everywhere."

Nine pulled in the oars, and the little boat was slowly lead to the shore by the Bay's waves. There was a sickening aura coming from Plum Island, one that simply radiated hatred and wickedness. The square facility left a terrible shadow across the ground, and it seemed to grow bigger and bigger with every passing second. My breathing became shallow at the thought of finally entering this place and taking it by storm. I fumbled with my inhaler slowly and took two quick pumps, but the last one came out with a weak puff. I shook it and tried again to no avail. It was empty, right before I was about to go into battle.

Great.

I tossed it into the floor of the boat.

When we were feet away, Nine crouched out of the boat and dragged us to shore as quietly as he could. We carefully piled out as our feet crunched against the rocky beach. As I looked back, I saw how far we were from any people or help. We were utterly alone, and if this didn't go as planned...

"The main entrance is around to the side," Adam whispered as he squatted down beside the boat. "I used one of the service entrances last time, so I think we should do that again."

"And don't you think they'll see your strategy again?" Nine whispered as he stooped down beside me. I steadied myself by placing my hand on his knee.

"The US government didn't notice when the Koreans used George Washington's strategies against them, and I'm pretty sure that was a bigger war than this was."

I raised my eyebrows. He had a point.

"Just follow me once we get in there," Adam whispered.

We made our way from the boat, running with light steps and trying to stay away from all of the bright flood lights that might alert them of our appearance. The service entrance was simply two doors that opened up to the underground levels for the animals to enter through. Posted in front of them, two military men in green jumpsuits stood with m14's held to their chest. The brim of their hats were tugged low, but it was easy to see that they were human. I still had never seen a Mogadorian, and honestly, I was dreading it.

Nine was the first one to act, snatching the guns out of their hands with his telekinesis before charging them. Adam and I were right behind him. Nine grabbed one by the head and landed a sucker punch to his face while I threw the other off of his feet with my shield. Adam caught and rolled him before holding him in a choke hold until he passed out. Nine punched the soldier once more before his knees crumpled below him. We dragged them to the side of the building before we went through their pockets quickly. Nine shouldered one of the m14's and handed the other to Adam.

"I don't like guns," Adam said as he handled it awkwardly.

"Well then give it to me," I said. Adam passed the gun over after I stuck a few magazines into the waist band of my jeans. Nine followed suit, and Adam was left with only a K-Bar and his legacies. We took a security pass card from one of the unconscious guards and swiped it, allowing the doors to open with a pleasant "click!". Before we entered, I took a deep breath to try and steel my nerves.

I felt Nine's hand squeeze mine gently. I looked up at him as he gave a reassuring smile.

"You're going to be okay." He pulled my hand to his lips and kissed it.

Then it was back to business. His face became cold again as he chambered a round, and Adam opened the door suddenly. Nine and I pulled the guns up and rushed inside.

Author's Note: Sorry for the cliff hanger, but the next chapter is going to be the real action. I just didn't want to make this one too long! Stay tuned!