Husband and Wife

Twenty-Four

Ella

After an hour of fighting, arguing, throwing random objects at each other, and silent treatments, Five and I came to the conclusion that the only way to end this battle was to compromise. And by compromise, I mean that we stacked pillows between us and (reluctantly) shared the bed. He was a complete bed hog, so I spent the majority of my night trying not to fall off the side. I would push him back to his side, but he would only hold his ground. It sucked, and by the time our alarm clock went off, I was certain that I only had two hours of sleep.

Five took his shower while I got dressed, slipping on a pair of black pants and a red top to wear to breakfast with Setrakus Ra. I twisted my hair into a loose braid as I caught myself staring out the window, seeing the line of the atmosphere just below us. How high were we? If I jumped, how long would it take me to hit the ground? Would I burn up before I got that close?

Another thought crept into my mind, one that made me feel a little bit smaller in this world. Where were my friends? It had been days since I had been taken - days. Hell, I think it might have been a week, and yet no one had showed up to help me! 

They aren't even looking for you, my mind said.

Shut up, yes they are. They wouldn't leave me.

Really? Everyone has goo-goo eyes for each other. They don't have time for you. Nine made that pretty clear. 

Stop it! I shut my eyes forcefully, trying to repress every thought that swarmed my mind. They aren't coming, you're stuck here now, stuck married to that brute. You're stuck doing whatever he says, complete submission, married to him forever. He dies, you die. Do they even care?

Tears welled in my eyes. I dropped my braid and pressed my palms to my eyes. "Stop it, stop it, stop it!" Choked sobs broke through as I tried to stay quiet. Maybe no one heard me...

I heard Five turn off the shower, and I frantically tried to wipe my eyes. He couldn't notice. He'd tell Setrakus Ra, his "beloved leader". I couldn't let that happen - I couldn't be seen as weak.

The bathroom door opened as I turned my back towards him, trying to focus on my braid. My fingers trembled and fumbled, constantly messing up. I bit my lip as I heard his footsteps approach. Why couldn't he just leave me alone?

"El."

"What?" My voice came out weak, way too weak for him. I sat down on the bed with my back to him, trying to pull myself together as I focused on the world outside the window. My world - the one that I had been taken from, the one that I hadn't been returned to.

"Why are you crying?" Five asked, his usually gruff voice turned soft. 

I snapped, "I'm not."

"Yeah, right." His bare feet padded against hardwood floor before he stepped onto the carpet behind me. "What's wrong?" 

"Can you just take a hint and leave me alone?!" I turned suddenly and glared at Five, who stood a few feet away with only a towel wrapped around his waist. His eyepatch looked as if he had sloppily pulled it on his face before leaving the bathroom, and his muscular chest and shoulders were dripping wet. I could feel the heat rising in my cheeks before I turned away with a huff. "I'm fine."

"Whatever, fuck me for trying to help." I could hear him turn away, but I spun around before he could get very far. 

"Why haven't the others come?" I blurted before I could help myself. 

Five froze, almost as if the question surprised him. He turned, his scarred face scrunched up in a frown. "Why are you asking me?"

"Maybe your Beloved Leader told you something? I just..." I gave an exasperated sigh before sitting back down. "Where are they?"

"I don't know, Ella."

For a moment, I thought he had more to add. However, his comment was only followed by silence. I glanced up at him, trying to ignore his defined abs as I searched his face for any tell-tale signs of a lie. But there were none, and Five reentered the bathroom to dress. 

Breakfast was as awkward as I imagined it would be. Setrakus Ra asked about our first night as a married couple, and Five played the part he was supposed to, grinning and calling it 'an amazing way to start our marriage'. He was a great actor, better than he had been in Chicago. Setrakus Ra grinned, flaunting his small, spiked teeth before digging into his food. I choked down eggs for strength, but my appetite was complete gone at the thought of being Five's conquest.

"My loyal servant, and husband of my granddaughter! I could not be more proud," my grandfather praised, looking between the two of us. I forced a smile. "Spend time with your wife. Take a few days to acclimate to these changes. Then, we must begin our plan to destroy the others."

"Have we had any intel on their locations, Beloved Leader?" Five asked, his head low but voice formal. 

"We have reason to believe they are working with the humans to try to fight this war."

Five scoffed. "Then they are as pathetic as you say."

Setrakus Ra raises his glass of wine. "Exactly." Five toasts, and I meekly raise mine quietly.

My mind races again, causing me to stare off into space. They're working with humans... I wonder if this means they've recruited more people like Sam, or if they're working with the government. After all of the stunts we've pulled, they were bound to become suspicious. Honestly, I was surprised they had not caught up with us sooner, especially when one considers all of the facial recognition software that had been put in place. 

But if they're working with the government, that means they are fighting back. They are trying to rescue me! They're going to blow up this ship and take me away!

Five and I head back to our room, where he changes out of his nice attire and into his Mogadorian uniform. I scoff when he finishes. "You're still going to fight with them, I see."

"Did you think you were going to change my mind?" he says coldly, tossing his dirty clothes into the floor of the closet. "Because you're not. I don't have a choice, and even if I did, I know I'm making the right one."

"Yes, but slaughtering our people. Killing Earth. Murdering billions for your destructive purposes. That seems like a great choice."

He shuts the closet door roughly. "Whatever, you wouldn't understand."

"And why wouldn't I?" I snap back.

"Because you were pampered! You always had your Cepan around! I got the oldest bastard they could find, and he repressed all that I was capable of!"

"Don't you dare talk about Crayton!"

"Oh what are you going to do?" he barks roughly, and I can tell he's trying to act tough, but his eye is giving him away. They're soft, a subtle blue that seems to be the exact opposite of the man wearing that uniform. 

I cry out in frustration and sit on the bed, putting my hands in my head. I hear him scoff before leaving, slamming the door behind him. I look out the window, seeing the curve of the atmosphere below me. Where are they?

A/N: So hi, everyone! Um, not going to lie, I've had this chapter written up for a while now. And by a while, I mean for a couple of months. I lost inspiration for this story after I wrote this. There was going to be another part to this chapter, but I wasn't exactly sure where I was going with it, so I hesitated before publishing. And now, it's 8 months later. I had forgotten I had even wrote this chapter up before I checked on a whim. So yeah, that's fun. I hope you all have enjoyed the story so far!