T W O . ↴| ✔

CHAPTER TWO

||smoking kills||

" they must've been the two dumbest criminals in history "

***

"Masina," I look over to one of the dancers calling my name. "Our shift is over, you can go home." She tells me and I nod, walking out from behind the bar that I've been making drinks at for the past 6 hours. I'm exhausted and waste no time to grab my stuff and head for the exit to the building.

Walking out of the club, the music is drowned out and I make my way back towards the hotel that I'm currently living in. Being a bartender pays well but not well enough for me to actually get my own house.

Being 19 doesn't really help either but I've managed to live by myself for quite sometime. A crash brings me out of my thoughts and I look around just to see a dog. He's digging through the trash looking for food. Sighing, I feel around my jacket pockets to see if I have anything to give him. My hand hits something plastic and I pull it out.

Smiling, I open the beef stick that has been in my pockets since the start of my shift and whistle for the dog to come to me. He jogs over when he sees the meat but is hesitant to take it. I put it on the ground and he walks to eat it all up. I smile at him and watch as he runs away from me before I finish my walk to the hotel.

The sun is peeking through the horizon as My eyes meet the pale yellow color of the building. My legs are aching by the time I reach my door. Sliding the card, I walk in and plop my bags down. I hop onto the bed with a sigh and close my eyes. I'm exhausted from tonight so I don't bother to even go under the sheets when I feel myself doze off.

--

I wake up to the sunlight streaming through curtains and I rub my eyes. Looking at the clock I see that it's already 2 in the afternoon. That's what happens when you have to take the late shift.

I sit there for a while, trying to wake myself up before I grab my phone and check it for notifications. Like usual, there are none.

Deciding that I don't want to waste the day, I get up and grab a bikini from my dresser.

I usually like going out to the pool when I wake up because the warmth of the hot Texas sun makes me feel at home. I've been living at the Dew Drop Inn for almost a year now and still everything feels so new to me.

I grab a towel and  make my way down to the pool, my broken sandals making a squeaking noise. It's only when I'm at the pool gate when I realize that I need sunscreen. Turning around I walk to the lobby.

I open the door and pad over to the front desk but stop when I see a family getting a room. They talk for a while and then the man slides a room key over. The oldest who looks to be the father takes it and ushers two kids to move. As they walk past I make eye contact with the girl and we both exchange smiles.
I walk over to the old and very cranky man who sits behind the counter.

"The fuck do you want?" he spits at me and I give him a kind smile.

"Hello to you too Sid," I laugh. "Can I have some sunscreen?" I ask politely and he gives me the stink eye.

"You little rugrats using up all of my supplies." he spits and throw the bottle at me. I reach my arms out to catch it but it slips and falls to the ground. Sighing I bend down and pick it up.