Vanessa

A blare from my alarm startled me awake. Darting my eyes from the pastel pink ceiling, I was once again startled when I heard banging on my bedroom door. I rolled my eyes as I tried with every last cell in me to get up from my fluffy but heated black blanket and face the hellhole, I call high school. It was only 5 o'clock. Did schools expect children to be ready to learn this early? What kind of hell is this?

Getting out of bed rather slowly, I dragged myself to my closet to lay out the most sexist outfit a school board can force a young woman to wear to get an education. A damn skirt. Which we have to wear all year round. Oh no, no pants for use young ladies, that'll be too much of a hassle I suppose.

Skipping a morning shower since I took one last night, I wiped myself down quickly to get all the sweat I probably gathered overnight and slipped on my uniform. Make sure to put on a white wife beater before my semi-sheer school-issued button-down shirt and black legging before my skirt, just to prevent any accidents like flashing my damn underwear. The skirt itself was about mid-thigh but it hiked up slightly due to it being pleated. Therefore, showing the goods that nobody should see unless permitted or on their wedding night.

Notice how I didn't say my wedding night, well maybe because I doubt I'll ever find someone for myself. Especially not with how my father acts.

Slipping on my bright red converses, the only thing we were allowed to be different in and faced my full body mirror and looked myself over, adding a simple gold chain that had a small black rose in the middle and a bracelet with the same rose.

Pale brown eyes stared back at me, long, hazel hair brushed and pushed back into a low ponytail to perfection standards set by my ever-so-loving father, my olive skin only slightly a shade darker due to the outside charity work I do after school every Monday. Honestly, I was pretty with my chunky cheeks that are angled high, but only slightly, my almond-shaped eyes that fluttered with lashes that slightly curled upwards, and my round face. My height was my only downside, at five foot five, I blend in pretty well.

Slinging my hooding and school vest over my bare arms, I walked down the two dozen stairs of this huge but very empty house of mine. Coming to the dining room, sitting there in rigid silence, my parents and my brother are already eating as the chef and maid buzz around to make sure they made no mistakes in front of my father. I shuddered slightly at the last time they received punishment because of one burnt piece. It wasn't even a big deal; I ate it anyway. But it didn't stop the punishment though.

"Morning," I murmured, ignoring the heated glare on my face. Oh, right, I didn't speak up properly, I guess.

"Morning baby," greeted back Mom sweetly, her eyes shining as she gazed at me. My father gave a stiff nod as usual, and my brother Callum grunted his reply before scarfing his food down his throat like the barbarian he is. Father's words, not mine.

Despite all the delicious food on my face, I took an apple from the fruit bowl, feeling sick to my stomach, check the time, and did a mad dash to see if the bus was outside. Sitting in that room with such a stifling and suffocating silence was only bearable when I knew I had to leave for the day. Any other time, I might have choked back puke to push through. Racing at the bus stop, I see the big yellow death contraption waiting on me even though it was seven minutes early.

Hopping up the metal stairs, I give Mr. Vince, an elderly bus driver, showed a slight glimpse of his teeth before I face the masses. Oh, how I wish I was home-schooled-

"Look at the nerd!" Someone shouted in the back of the bus, but I ignored them like I ignore the cracks of my mental health shattering. It was typical of them to yell such toddler-like insults. It never phased me before so I won't let it phase me now. Holding my head high and looking down my nose at them, I kept my face neutral as I sit as close as I can to the doors to get away from such ignorant comments slammed my way.