Moving! Yay...

"You have got to be kidding me!" I yelled at my mom. She dragged my kangaroo-rats cage over to the van. "You know how much Sue wants to see you. Besides, you can't come with me to Kenya," my mom huffed, her little red bun started to unravel. I just don't understand how it is that the only trip I couldn't go on was in Africa. Considering mom's occupation, Africa is the calmest area I could have gone to. She is a zoologist and wildlife ranger who just so happens to specialize in rainforest mammals. At the moment, or at least before last week, she was studying the Numbats in the eucalyptus forest. We live in the area closest to the southwest coast. "I love Australia soooooo much," I said under my breath. My mom glanced at me as she walked towards the door. "Which is really saying something considering how many places I've been to," I said a little louder to no one in particular. It's only been a year and I have made some awesome friends and found the best spots in the forest without getting all the way to the coast. My iPod beeped for the hundredth time, and I am not exaggerating when I say that. I'm surprised that the little light box (as one of my math teachers called it) hasn't burned a hole through the dark capris I was wearing. My best friend (Kate) texted me again, and unfortunately, it was in all caps. "CHECK YOUR STINKING MESSAGES!!! YOU'RE LEAVING TOMORROW AND I WOULD LIKE TO HANGOUT BEFORE YOU LEAVE FOR LIFE!!!" Her text was filled with so many dramatic emojis that I just had to roll my eyes and smile. Even if she wasn't with me right now, she still managed to scold me in her own dramatic way. "I'm already starting to miss her and this text is making it worse," I said after pondering on it. Oh great, I thought, now I'm talking to myself. This heat is not helping my depressed state. I decided I should text her back, so that she didn't start ringing up our house phone. "Don't worry, Kate-Ann. There's no way I could go without hanging with you first. Meet me at Maswali. And remember to bring your flashlight. No way are you going to get lost on my last night with you," I typed, but backspaced the last six words and hit "SEND". I could not have both of us bawling before I even get to Maswali. My mom started to drag another bag to the van. I grabbed my rough leather bag as I ran out onto our so-called "yard" that is really just the area in front of our house that has a few less trees than anywhere else for miles. Mom caught me, as usual. "And just where do you think you are going?" Her face held the most exasperated look I had ever seen on it. "I'm just going to see Kate before we leave tomorrow morning, can I please go?" I give her my best puppy-dog face. She didn't seem convinced, so I added the pouty lip and used the sweetest voice I could muster. "Pretty, pretty please?" I asked with a sweet but not innocent smile. My mom sighed and mumbled something about me being too old for the cuteness I have. I know I have won her over. I usually hide my cuteness, because being cute just isn't my style. Although being the cutest does have its perks. Mom waved me off and walked back into the house. As I made my way to the enormous tree that Kate and I named Maswali, or "questions" in Swahili, I noticed how colorful the forest is when it is dusk. When I arrived at the giant tree, there wasn't a light on in, around or near the treehouse. A dark figure passed by the window of the little hut in the tree. There was enough moonlight for me to climb quickly and quietly up the makeshift ladder without falling down to the ground. "This is stupid! Marshall! If it's you in there, I'm gonna drag your sorry little--" my screaming at the figure was curtailed. I was tackled from the ledge outside of the hut. I could tell it was my brother just from the scent he was giving off. That probably sounds creepy, but he smells like the cologne section at a mall. I smacked him on the head with my flashlight. He suddenly jumped off of me, but he forgot that this hut was built for kids my height which is less than his 6ft and who knows how many inches. He sat down, rubbing the top of his head and wincing. "I thought you knew not to come up here unless you are invited AND not to come at me when I have a heavy object in my hand." I smirked at him while he glared at my bulky flashlight. As if he was expecting another hit, he glanced at me cautiously. Much to his relief, I didn't hit him again. "I'm not mad at you," I reassured him, "I love seeing you, but why are you here so late in the day?" He gave me a questioning look as I sat next to him. "Welcome back." We shared a hug and a smile. It has been a year since I have seen him, because he attends a private high school in Sydney. However, mom said he was going to come with me to Georgia. A few moments passed by. Marshall looked at the ground then back up at me with a small smile that didn't reach his eyes. Speaking softly he said to me, "Sonja, I wanted to say goodbye before you move." I froze and looked at him in shock and confusion. He...he wasn't coming?