Chapter 6

Sofie felt like she had a hangover when she made it down to the table. A thick heavy feeling made each thought seem like work and her limbs heavier. If it weren't for her driving hunger she would have gladly stayed in bed for the day. When she reached the dining room her family was around the table but the place where she normally sat was empty. No plate, silverware or even a water glass.

"Nice mom. Real nice." She said pointing to the empty table. "So I don't get meals now, is that how we're playing this? I'm still a flipping minor you know. I'm supposed to get food and shelter."

Her mother jumped at the sound of her voice and stood up quickly.

"Of course you do! I just thought after staying. Up all night you'd sleep until much later. Sit down. I'll grab you a plate."

She slumped into the seat and rubbed her eyes. Her father was looking at her like she forgot to wear pants. Just in case she looked down, yep all covered.

"What's with the creepy stare dad? You forget what I look like? Expect me to die overnight?"

He scoffed loudly and a piece of potato flew from his mouth landing in the table.

"Gross dad. And you're the one always spouting about appearances."

Her fathers face turned Apple red and he stared at her mother with a look of terror.

"Of course not dear." Her mother said almost too sugary. "We're just all surprised your feeling so well after an all nighter. Oh to be young again."

It wasn't long before a plate was delivered and Sophie stabbed at the supposed chicken trying to avert her eyes from her dad and his weird grin. She strained to hear her mother's voice from the hall. Something was off- phone conversations during dinner were practically blasphemous and something tingled just below her skin. She feigned boredom and struggled to catch her mothers strained words.

"What do you mean he liked her?"

"Well how long will that last?"

"No, of course not, it's just that we had a deal and I thought..."

"I understand. All kids play with their food. I'll be patient. Do me a favor though, if you-"

She stopped chewing and tried to hear the rest of the words above the garbage disposal. Her mom was definitely missing a screw somewhere. Did people playing with food really warrant a phone conversation? Especially in the middle of dinner?

When she was younger dinner used to be a big deal. Everyone sat down, talked about their day and laughed often. It was both torture and amazing at the same time. She wondered what it would be like in a few months. Maybe she'd be living in Arizona eating rare buffalo after a long day of working in the sun. Ugh. That wasn't gonna happen. She'd sooner live on the streets or shack up with friends until graduation.

Her mom came back to the table and forced a smile while shoving food around her plate. Sofie felt like her mom was studying her, the distinct sensation of a bug in a microscope making her shift several times in her chair. Finally her mother broke the silent stare and Sofie braced herself.

"Sofie. I talked to Kelly and she said you were delightful. Both she and Klaus are so very pleased that you've taken the job. And Charlie..."

A loud bang echoed as her father dropped his fork in his plate and with trembling hands reached for his water.

"... as I was saying," her mother continued without the slightest pause to check on her fathers odd behavior. "Charlie was quite smitten with you and is looking forward to tonight. Well done Sophia."

Sofie grit her teeth to keep herself from losing her temper. Sophia. Ever since they'd come here her mother had been trying to call her by her birth name. Sophia was a stuffy name. It may have been on her birth certificate but it wasn't who she was. Or ever would be.

She wanted to address it, but her mother already seemed frazzled and uncomfortable so she Sofie swallowed the anger with the last forkful of meat and potatoes. Sleeplag. She hadn't had enough sleep and that had to be why everything felt strange. She pushed in her chair and stood pausing to observe her mom and dad eyes locked like they were contestants in a staring match.

"I'm going to get a few extra hours of sleep. Did you know that Charlie doesn't sleep at night? His parents keep him up so they're all on the same routine? Is it me or is that sort of awkward?"

Her mother took another gulp of wine and kept her focus on her dads face. "They're a unique family, Sophia. Hundreds of years of history and heritage. They're bound to do a few things differently."

Pushing in her chair she noticed her parents plates had remained untouched since she came to the table. Her father cleared his throat and Sofie didn't bother waiting to see if he was going to say anything or not. They were just like the rest of this town, holding the Strogolian family name above everyone else, as if the people at the top weren't usually the most outrageous.

She flung herself on her bed and twirled the sheet around her. Her eyes glanced toward the plane ticket, and she sighed. If her mother thought she was such a lost cause why on earth would she volunteer her to babysit for the one family in town that everyone worked so hard to impress? Maybe she was supposed to fail. If Kelly and Klaus thought she was a failure there would be no question or backlash from the town if they sent her to live with Neal.

From just beyond the swirl of sleep she could hear her mother and fathers voices, loud and angry.

"It's the way it's always been. We don't have a choice!"

Booming from below a final statement from her father as she stayed in the drift of coming sleep she smiled. You tell her dad. Happy that she had less time to be on the opposing end of her mother's constant nagging, she drifted off to sleep.

Two blissful hours until she had to be at the Strogolians. She'd pack a lunch tonight.  Just enough for her and Charlie. No more messing around looking for expired scraps. Last night sucked.

But somehow they had liked her work. Despite the fact that she was sleep deprived and burnt eggs. Tonight she'd be better. She lay across her bed and thought about last night. How had she gotten home? Did she walk home? Did one of the Strogolian's drive her? She couldn't remember anything from the time they walked in the door.

"What the actual hell?! Sleep deprivation is no joke. No wonder the police say driving tired is more dangerous than driving drunk."