Chapter 4

Sophie moved slowly into the house tying to take in the sights. For such nice people they sure had weird taste. The furniture was all stuffy museum looking pieces that seemed too stiff to be used. Her fingertips touched the throne like chair beside the fireplace. It's crimson fabric was soft and warm like butter but something about it felt wrong. A part of her begged to sit there, feel the taut cushions beneath her and melt into the fabric. But she couldn't bring herself to do it—her legs refused to move her to the base sending warning signals across her skin in painful tingles.

"I am never drinking again" she said aloud. From somewhere beyond the great front room she heard a giggle. Charlie. Shit. They hadn't even mentioned the kid. No introduction, no bedtime routine. For fucks sake, her first babysitting job and she hadn't even bothered to ask for an emergency number.

"Charlie? Is that you?" She moved deeper into the house finding herself in a long narrow hallway lined with paintings. Men and women with flawless features and perfect poses - each an exact replica of the next except for the faces which still looked oddly similar, but there were differences.

She counted the paintings stopping in front of each one and pausing just long enough to search for something different.  It's not a game of spot the difference Sophie. It's someone's family history. Generations of weirdos who all want to mimic the one before -only one up them with a single change. She smiled. It was clever. A giant F-you to the people you outlived.

The last picture was Mr. and Mrs. Strogolian. Kelly looked flawless. Impeccable dress, skin so perfect she could sell beauty cream, and eyes painted so lifelike they seemed to be staring right into Sophie's soul causing her to shiver. Klaus stood behind her in the repeated pattern pose. His hand resting comfortably on her shoulder looking straight ahead. He looked different than he had just minutes ago- his features squared and maybe....more intensity had been given to his eyes. Without the glasses and the comfortable sweater he seemed...ominous?

Sophie took a few steps back, trying to see the photos from a single point but failing, the length of the hallway made it impossible. Her stomach rumbled uncomfortably and she tip toed beyond the hallway into a giant spotless kitchen. Her breath caught in her throat at it's size. The room was probably the size of her old house back home. An island stood in the center gleaming and lined with modern appliances. The room was warm and inviting and she took her first deep breath since she'd gotten here.

There was a Kuerig! Surprise and joy surged through her and she practically danced over to the machine placing her fingertips on its cool smooth surface. Her life just got better, by a lot. Staying awake was totally possible if caffeine was an option. "Hello little beauty" she said opening the drawer below it.  Empty. She opened the next drawer over and found it empty too. Curious. Every cupboard and drawer in the island counter was spotless, and vacant of anything but space.

"What the actual hell!" A stifled giggle danced around the room bouncing off the shiny silver appliances. She slammed the last drawer and turned around.

"Charlie? Another giggle followed by shuffling. "My names Sophie. I'm the new babysitter. Well, umm not babysitter. You aren't a baby, I know that."
Great way to start off, call the kid a baby.

Goosebumps broke out across her arms as she waited in the silence. He was watching her. She could feel it, and her heart beat loudly in her chest. She took a step backwards using the stationary island for support. The rumors spinning in her mind growing in intensity until her only thought was to run.

"I'm probably freaking you out. I get that. A strange girl in your kitchen going through your things....but I was just looking for the coffee." She waited, her body tense, straining for the smallest hint of noise. "I'd love to meet you, Charlie."

The house was tomb like—noiseless and flat. No ticking clocks or background noise, not a single drip of a faucet or hum of an appliance. She walked over to the refrigerator and placed her palm on the door. It's cool surface assuring her it worked despite the lack of sound. She wrapped her fingers around the handle and pulled sighing with relief when the soft white light spilled onto her chest.

The contents of the fridge were sparse. Eggs, a dozen untouched shining lidless on its shelf. Orange juice. Unopened. A Brita pitcher of water filled to the brim. There was fruit in the drawer. Two glistening apples, one red, and one green each still sporting the tiny sticker on their surface. Wow, someone needs to do some shopping.

She closed the door and turned around and shrieked. There, standing directly in front of her stood a boy. Young, hair so blonde it was practically white and eyes so black she couldn't see the center. "Charlie. I'm sorry. You scared me, I didn't hear you come in."

He stood immobile. His dark brown, almost black eyes watching and she stared back. He looked pale, and his frame was so slight she felt a weird urge to feed him. He looked...normal. The mysterious 'monster boy' that supposedly was so hideous he was never allowed to be seen in public was just a waif of a child really.

She chastised herself for believing urban legend rumors and lifted her hand to tussle his platinum hair. The boy quickly taking two steps back but never taking his eyes off her face.

"Not a toucher. Got it. Anything else you want to tell me? Allergies? Medical conditions? Secret plans for world domination?"

He smiled and she felt a wave of warmth rush over her. It was joyful and she instantly wanted to repeat the process.

"I'm new to the whole being in charge thing so...let's just figure out what works together okay?"

He may have nodded, she wasn't sure, her eyes didn't register it but somehow she felt as if he had. Food. She hadn't eaten in hours and with the stress of coming here, and seeing the supposed mutant she'd been running on empty.

"Can I ask you something Charlie? What do you guys do for snacks around here?  I mean, obviously your mom doesn't eat them. There's no way with her figure she binges on anything that isn't vegetables, but you gotta eat something that isn't an egg or an apple right?"

Charlie sat down at the small breakfast nook and folded his hands. She waited for a response until the silence made it awkward and began opening the cupboards lining the walls.

"Okay. I'm guessing you're hungry too. Let's see what I can scrounge up. Don't get your hopes up though, I haven't touched a stove since we moved here and even then it was to warm up canned soup."

She turned back to the boy who's straight posture put even Regan to shame. Talk about proper upbringing. The absence of noise was driving her insane. Tomorrow she'd bring a radio, or headphones. Charlie seemed pleasant enough, obviously quiet, but not at all hyperactive. She wondered if he were even able to speak. Crap! No one had mentioned his abilities at all. Maybe he was mute!

She pulled her phone from her pocket and made herself a note.
——Bring your own food
——ask if Charlie can communicate
——get a new job

There. She would make sure to find out if there was something wrong with him before she made herself look stupid again. Geesh, you'd think his parents would have said something. Anything! But maybe they assumed her mother had informed her of the circumstances and they didn't want to push the issue. That was probably it. Her mom was probably having a great night laughing at her muddling through this without vital information. What a bitch.