24

A/N: sorry for the slow updates. They're going to be slower than usual because I can only update on my phone 😪
----
The train pulled to a stop late in the afternoon. Emma, legs weak after sitting for so long, grabbed her trunk and stepped out of the compartment with Draco. She was prepared to look for Ginny but didn't want to leave Draco. The hall of the train was already crowded, more crowded than usual. Students didn't usually go home for Easter, this year was obviously different though.

"You'd think they'd move faster," said Draco, as he and Emma stared at all the students struggling to get out of the hallway. "Look at them all. Rats."

"You know, you should try being nice to people," Emma told him. Her shoulder was suddenly hit and she fell into Draco's side, frowning at the sight of a student running past and shoving people out of the way far more violently than Draco was. The student looked over his shoulder and laughed at a little girl he'd knocked down, and it turned out to be Zacharias Smith. "He's more of a douche than you are."

"I'll take that as a compliment, Freckles," said Draco, and they both began to walk with their trunks when the hallway was cleared out. "You know, since I'm . . . bad."

"I don't think you're bad," Emma responded. "You're a really good person - just - you've got the wrong people around you. And that whole bad boy reputation you'd maintained back in fifth-year? Yeah - not cute at all."

Draco only smirked. "Admit it. You liked it."

"I did not. I thought the worst of you."

"You thought it was cute."

"No."

"You were the good girl and I was the bad boy. Opposites attract."

"Ugh, don't say that," Emma shuddered. "Sounds like a terrible romance novel. Oh - I don't see any of the Weasley family, they must be on the other side of the platform. I see Ginny by the wall, though, she must be waiting for me."

Draco squinted his eyes and looked out the window. "I see my mother. Only her, my father isn't with her."

"Oh, I'm so excited to see the Weasleys again!" Emma squealed, rushing ahead of Draco. She skipped down off the train and onto the platform with a big grin. She turned around and saw Draco following her out, with a gloomy look on his face. "Oh, come on. Where's that smile?"

"Only you're allowed to see my smile, Freckles."

"Sucks to be everyone else then," she said, smiling at him when he looked at her. "Now, come on - give me a hug."

"Lucky my father isn't here, otherwise I'd be pushing you out of the way," he said, reaching over to hug her, only for her to jerk back with raised eyebrows. "I'm kidding."

Emma dropped her trunk and wrapped her arms around Draco's neck. He was gentler with her than she was with him.

"You're being too gentle, Draco, come on - hug me. What do you call that?" She felt his arms tighten. He mumbled something into her hair but she caught none of it. They pulled apart and Emma's hands absently reached over to fix his blazer. "Now, go over there and say hello to your Mum for me."

"Be safe, Freckles," he said in a low voice.

Emma reached up and brushed stray hairs from his eyes and said, "You be safe, too."

She left when he moved to walk over to his mother, and found Ginny by the wall, leaned against it looking relaxed. She looked disturbed, being able to see Emma and Draco from where she was standing.

"Jeez, I thought you two were about to kiss or something," Ginny said, pretending to vomit. Emma laughed. "C'mon, Mum's waiting for us."

"Just your Mum?"

"Yeah, just her. She said Fred and George are at home, but she was talking with people when I checked on her."

Together, Emma and Ginny ran through the brick wall with their trunks dragging behind them. No matter how many times Emma had done it, it would always give her a rather sick feeling before touching the wall.

She heard the familiar sound of joy from Mrs Weasley. Every time Emma was around the Weasleys she felt like nothing other than a stranger and a burden, but it never usually lasted long. She loved that about them. They always made her feel welcome with the simplest smile.

"Hello, Mrs Weasley," Emma grinned, accepting a hug from the older woman who only chuckled.

"No matter how many times I tell you and Harry to call me Molly it never seems to work," she replied, looking over at her only daughter and touching her shoulder.

Emma looked at Ginny, who looked slightly heartbroken at the sound of Harry's name. Ginny only sighed and walked ahead of the two.

"Is she going to be all right?" Emma said tentatively, fiddling with her hands awkwardly. "You've heard, of course, all the trouble she's caused at Hogwarts. I like to think it's her showing the Death Eaters and Snape what they deserve but I can't help but feel . . . that part of her is only acting out because of Harry."

Mrs Weasley was silent for a moment.

"Ginny is very fond of Harry, yes, but I don't believe that is the reason behind her behaviour. I doubt she'd tell me if it was but, still, either way, I don't think I should stop her. Now come along, dear. We're driving back to The Burrow."

"Driving?" Emma frowned.

"Yes. Arthur's convinced some people from the Ministry to drive here and back for us, like guards. He wants to make sure you and Ginny are safe."

Emma frowned again. Ever since her mother had died two years ago she had felt horrible and guilty about other people beginning to care for her. She hated it now. It was almost like a gift she was unable to reject or give back because she didn't want it.

She just hoped that all this family and caring business would make everything OK.