Chapter 2

"Mr Bahn?"

I stared at her in pure shock and disbelief, her face homing a look of genuine concern. I shifted my gaze over to my 'classmates', most of whom I hadn't seen in more than ten years, all turned around and focused on me. Their fixated eyes causing me to hyperventilate.

"Vince, are you okay?" I heard someone whisper from beside me. I looked to my right and recognised it to be one of my best friends, Amanita.

I blinked several times as my hands began to tremor slightly, small beads of sweat slowly starting to collect on my forehead. Her eyebrows were furrowed together and she looked as if she were on standby, ready to jump out of her seat and catch me if I were to drop to the ground.

I turned away from her and back to the somewhat familiar faces of the rest of the class. Slowly, names began to fill my head one after the other, face after face, tapping the pool of memories I hadn't reconnected with in so long.

"Should we take him to the nurse?"

My eyes widened involuntarily at the sound of his voice. Every hair rose individually in fear, accompanied by the formation of goosebumps up and down my arms.

It couldn't be.

I turned around slowly, just to make sure that whatever was going on wasn't messing with the last ounce of sanity I had left in me, that that voice wasn't whose I thought it was.

But it was.

***

I woke up lying on my back, staring at the white ceiling above me. A ceiling that wasn't that of my bedroom's.

Mrs Flemming. Amanita. Nolan.

I sat up quickly and took in my surroundings. My eyes darted from the cabinets filled with OTC medications to the anatomical posters on the walls, I was definitely in the nurse's office.

I was in my old high school.

"How?" I asked aloud, even though there was no one around to hear me. I jumped off of the bed and walked up to a mirror placed on one of the walls and almost fainted again. It wasn't like I was in someone else's body or anything, oh no. I was me.

I was eighteen year old me.

"No. Fucking. Way." I gasped as I stared at my own reflection.

"Language." The nurse stated disapprovingly as she walked into the office alongside Amanita.

I moved away from the mirror and sat on the bed. "It's not like you to swear, Vince." Amanita chuckled, taking a seat beside me.

The nurse stood before me and placed the back of her hand on my forehead. "Are you feeling dizzy?" She asked. "Are you feeling any sort of pain anywhere? Your friend here told me you took one nasty fall."

Reality hit me at that moment, reminding me of the fact that I had just traveled eleven years back in time. My eyes widened as I stared into space, the nurse's calls sounding like background music as I tried analysing everything that had happened in the past few minutes.

"Maybe we should call his family to come collect him."

"His mum is most likely not at home. I have a free period. He doesn't live too far away. I can drop him off and make it back before my next class." A hand on my shoulder made me flinch and turn to meet Amanita's concerned face. "Let's go." She said, smiling softly. I was still pretty dazed as she helped me get up. She then proceeded with placing my left arm over her shoulder and wrapping her own arm around my waist. "Don't want you to fall again, now do we?"