LoveLines: How to resolve Love Triangle?

Hello and welcome to 'Lovelines', where we answer questions about writing paranormal romance!

Today's question is from Ivanna Ryder, who asks:
"How do you resolve a love triangl--"

Godhand: "Poly triad."

"Lady Magistra, you are exempt from answering. You know damn well not everyone is polyamorous and it's unreasonable to expect every love triangle to be resolved that way."

"...Listeners, she is making indignant sounds and crossing her many arms."

"Ahem, as I was saying. Ivanna askes, 'How do you resolve a love triangle? My main character is love with two people, but I'm not sure which one is right.'"

Jessesprague I take it that I am not allowed to suggest the answer should be both of them? I have been known to solve love triangles that way

Jessesprague I take it that I am not allowed to suggest the answer should be both of them? I have been known to solve love triangles that way. Can I suggest we not rule out that the three of them together in harmony can sometimes be the right answer? Because ultimately that's my answer...there is no right way to solve it. The answer that will be most satisfying to the reader is whatever direction is the truest for the characters. I find in these situation that rather than me trying to decide what the answer is, it's best if I just write and let the characters choose.

IdrisGrey The first question you have to ask is if your main character is *really* in love with both of them. Many of the love triangles I've read are pretty obviously not balanced. The main character is in love with one character and *cares deeply* about another and doesn't want to lose their friendship/love/respect/devotion by admitting they love someone else. If that's the case, I recommend being pretty honest about that within the narrative, because readers hate being misled. They also hate mixed signals. Call that what it is. If, on the other hand, your main character is really in love with both, you have to deal with what that means. Your character may love and WANT both characters. If that's the case, walk your main character through that and then walk the love interests through that. It isn't necessarily a dealbreaker, it just adds complication to the storytelling and the characterization, which can be cool! If you're not up to dealing with a potential polyamorous resolution, have your main character reason out who is best for them based on their experience and the story you've told, and choose. The answer may be neither. You've got a lot of options.

LynnS13 - Duh, kill if the third wheel and lovers reunited promptly enjoy the blood of the vanquished.

Okay if you are not in a bloody mood then, if you are writing a triangle, make all characters relevant. Explore the feelings they have for one and other. Separate true sentiment from mere attraction and let the best one win.

Or who knows... maybe it is true love, maybe we can all jump out of the monogamous box and make it work. It pays to explore.

RSKovach - You should always have an endgame in mind when you start writing, but make sure to listen to your characters. Just because you think they want to be together doesn't mean they do! If the story isn't heading in your pre-planned direction, don't necessarily force the issue. Do what is right for the characters. Sometimes it will mean having them disagree with you, which is totally acceptable.

What do you think, Listeners?

What are some of the ways you've seen love triangles resolved?

Have you ever been in a love triangle?