LoveLines: Dark Romance?

Hello and welcome to Lovelines, where we answer your questions about writing paranormal romance!

Today's question comes from--

Are you kidding me? Are you absolutely serious?

Sigh. The producer is looking at me, Listeners, very intently, and I hate her so much right now.

Today's question comes from Mike Rotch, who asks:

"What is Dark Romance? Is it dark because of external forces that the characters face, or dark because of the dynamics between them? At one point does it go from dark romance into abuse, and how do you navigate that line?"

JesseSprague For me Dark Romance is when you mix romance (in a vital way) into the darker subjects—whether that be depression, murder, or evil creatures falling in love. When I think of Dark Romance I think of serial killer love stories, and vampire romances (not the sparkly kind.) I don't think of it as being a romance verging on abuse but rather characters and situations seething with darkness and two people stuck in this mess who manage to fall in love.

Who says because two serial killers fall in love they would ever harm each other? The best Dark Romances show the characters being internally tortured, or evil, but not torturing each other (unless they have each other's consent and then it's all a go.)

Ashutoshmoru - Now this is a very tricky question, because the line between Dark Romance and Abuse is very, very blurry and often writers cross it without even knowing it. For me personally Dark romance has a sense of doing something forbidden, but it also has to be smoky. Dark romance can be created by characters who are often passionate. The romance, arises from carnal desires, and the... ahem... lovemaking, is rough. But it has to be rough from both ends, the friction that these two halves cause creates the smoke I speak of.
Imagine a romantic talk between Batman and Catwoman, both have that animalistic vibe to them which makes the romance dark. To navigate the line between dark romance and an abusive relationship, all you have to do is ask yourself one question. "Will I be okay with doing this? Will I be okay with going through something like this?" Is the answer is yes, then you are 80% okay to go ahead. If the answer is no, rethink the scenario and try to change it to where you'd feel comfortable in it. If the answer is HELL NO, then scrap that thing then and there, you've clearly crossed the line and went like 10 kilometres over it.
Keep these things in mind and I think you can safely navigate the Dark Romance conundrum.

Godhand- I thought Catwoman liked women?

Ashutoshmoru I am not updated on the Comic / Super hero canon...

Godhand - I mean, it could be both. It could be dark because of the concepts covered (murder, lies, treachery, abuse), or dark because of the dynamics between them (forbidden love! kidnapping!), but generally it will be gritty and suspenseful, with possible boundary crossings. The difference to me is that in dark romance, the main character is an active participant and consenting to the relationship (such as BDSM), whereas abuse revolves around a pattern of power dynamics that take away agency and choice from the main character, or don't respect it. There are some books out there with "dubious consent", but typically the character consented to give up their consent, as I understand it. I don't really condone them, but I don't read them, so perhaps some are an artistic exploration of consent and dealing with our inner desires and demons or something. What Dark Romance offers though, is a way to explore the shadow of things in a safe way, meaning, we can put the book down and walk away. The good books though, won't let us, and won't leave us even after we've shut them.

IdrisGrey My take on Dark Romance is usually to do with the degree of bloodshed and violence that takes place throughout the story. DR paranormal doesn't shy away from the darkness of certain creatures' fundamental nature. The carnage of wolves, the blood-drinking of vampires and what sort of world would be required to maintain that human blood supply. Sirens and their deadliness. The almost inherent imbalance in selkie-human love stories. I think the line between Dark Romance and abuse is consent both of the participating characters and the writer. The writer by their narrative determines what is acceptable and should be read positively by the reader and what is wrong and should be condemned. The writer has to know themselves so that they can convey that honestly.

LynnS13 - I guess everyone has their own take on Dark Romance. For the darkness is there, linked to that character's own existence. It can't be separated, from any other aspect of the character. Love might win, but Dark Romance will always leave that edge of danger, a little bloodshed does a lot good type of thing.

Whenever I delve into the dark, abuse might be an element, but you will not find it linked to the main character. They can be devious, a little dominant, run along and indulge in their monstrous nature, but never slip into abuse. It might be a thin line, but for me is something I'm very careful about.

RSKovach - Dark romance? I'm not very familiar with the term, but I think one way it could be interpreted is that your story isn't all sugar and spice. Your characters may be going through a great emotional or physical struggle which are large plot points and the romantic aspects are there to complement and propel the story forward.

What do you think, Listeners?How do you define Dark Romance?What are your feelings towards it?What sorts of things do you like to read in Dark Romance, and how do they make you feel?