Flashbacks and Nightmares

United States Military Academy, West Point, NY, 2004

"There you are, my darling!"

"Mom. Stop."

A dark-haired woman gripped the shoulders of a young Cecelia, pulling her into a full embrace. "I'm your mom, darling. I'm allowed to be proud of you."

"She's right. Not everyone graduates West Point at the age of 20."

"Thanks Dad," Cece rubbed the back of her neck as her mom released her from her hold.

"I need to go see Guden. I'll be right back." Cece watched her father walk away and her eyes caught sight of her group of friends.

"Can I go-"

"Of course. I see Tracy over there anyway." The manicured hand patted the slender cheek of her daughter before pulling away. Cece's graduation robes billowed around legs as she spun around and walked purposefully towards the group of four that was leaning against the base of the Washington Statue.

"There's the pride of the Mercury family."

"Shut up Cory," Cece rolled her eyes at the taller young man at the center of the group. "Have you gotten your letters yet?"

"I'm with you in Africa. You know they can't split up the top two," Cory winked at her.

"Man, I wish I could've gotten stationed there. They're sending me to Kansas."

"Fort Leavenworth is nicer than Fort Buckner," the female standing next to the shortest man of the group. "They're sending us there in three weeks."

"Well they can't exactly split us up Lucy. We're married," the short man smirked.

"But still," Lucy whined. "Okinawa? Seriously? We're going to have to deal with those Navy assholes for three years. Three years, Mike. That's a long time."

"What have I married?"

"Women are fickle Mike," the man who was going to Kansas grinned across the way.

"Thanks Josh," Cece rolled her eyes with a chuckle. "So. Kansas, Japan, and Africa. We've practically got the whole world covered."

"The world is safer in our hands now," Mike grinned. He turned serious a moment later. "You guys stay safe, alright? You guys are way too near everything for my taste."

"We'll be fine," Cece smiled reassuringly. "What could possibly go wrong?

Six months later, Cory and Cece were sprinting through the grounds of West Point, finishing up their Basic Officer Leader Course. Their lungs were burning as they rounded the corner of the Cemetery and made their way down Washington Road until they reached the statue of the First President himself. Cece slowed to a jog as Cory groaned, sliding to the ground in front of the statue, having arrived moments before his friend.

"Oww," Cory winced, flexing and pointing his toes listening to his ankles crack. "I hate you."

"No you don't." Cece exhaled, her hands on her knees. "You need this."

"Shut up." There was a long, ringing silence that the pair let encompass them before Cece stood up and moved. "I heard some rather interesting information during training today," Cory said from the ground as Cece slid into place next to him.