Part 20: Trust

After Donovan had distributed his duties for the farm that day, the three spent the rest of their morning in private council. He had already sketched out the broad strokes of the city map for Lydia's benefit, and Bronwyn was able to fill in additional details from her recent visit there.

But it was Donovan who laid out their strategy. As a knight he was well-versed in the tactics of taking and and defending a city with armies of hundreds, so he knew exactly how they could get in. Where five-dozen men would fail, three could succeed, and the defenders would never be expecting it.

"But succeed at what, exactly?" said Bronwyn.

"We need Morrigan free. He is our highest priority," said Lydia. She leaned back in her chair to stretch after an hour of hunching over the dusty table. "And Donovan thinks he will be in the cells of the Mage tower here on the cliff." She tapped an upturned cup with her fingernail.

Donovan stroked his chin thoughtfully. "I wonder if the Mages knew how well defended that place would be when they built it," he said.

"They're not stupid," Bronwyn reminded him, "but that's not why they built it there. The western cliff represents all the elements. The sea and earth below, the sky and sun above. If they look west from the tower at sunset all they can see are those elements. The location is more symbolic than anything else."

"What a happy coincidence," Donovan observed. "But well planned or no, that is where we need to be. We need to get to the cells first to rescue Morrigan, and if possible, we need to stop Sallus."

"Stop?" said Bronwyn.

"Kill," said Lydia. "He is a threat to all of us."

"I won't let you kill him," said Bronwyn, squaring off against the archer. "I need him. I need to talk to him."

"Talk? It's too late for that now."

"No, it isn't," Bronwyn insisted. "All of this, all these plans and secrets. I need to hear it from him. Hear an explanation from him. Then I can make up my mind."

Lydia was shocked. "You don't believe us? After everything we've told you?"

"Why should I? You expect me to disbelieve everything I was taught as a Mage. Why should I believe you and not them?"

"But you've seen what they have done!"

"And I've seen what you have done. I know what Donovan has done. No-one here has a monopoly on the truth. So when we find Sallus we will take him alive. Do you understand me?"

Lydia looked across the table at Donovan who only grunted back at her, but she saw a sparkle of amusement in his eye.

"Let the Mage have him if she wants," he said.

Lydia stepped away from Bronwyn to fetch water. "You need to see what we can see, Bronwyn, and not waste any more time on questions for this man.

"I don't care what side anyone is on anymore. I want answers, so better an honest question than blind faith."

Donovan saw his chance to ease the tension that had been building in the room. "We have been working too long without a break. You both know the city, you know what we intend to do. There is nothing more to learn here. We should eat now, and rest and sleep while we can. We leave three hours after noon. That will bring us to the city before sunset. Agreed?"

Lydia nodded. "Agreed, Bronwyn?"

"Yes," said Bronwyn.

"Good. My room is in there, Lydia. Bronwyn, the attic is comfortable too. Prepare yourselves."