1. Baz

I stare listlessly out of the classroom window, watching flibbertigibbets zip around in aimless circles. I tap my wand restlessly against my thigh, listening to Miss Possibelf drone on about topics I mastered when I was 14.

"When performing spells that have more than one application you need to make sure you focus on the emotions, as well as the syllables. . ."

Imbeciles. The whole lot of them. Especially bloody Simon Snow. He's hopeless at comprehending the subtle shifts in magic that make it truly magical. I drag my eyes lazily across the room to where he sits. He absentmindedly blows one of his bronze curls off his face as he stares perplexedly at the blackboard. Damn him for looking like that. The prophecies never mentioned that the greatest mage would save the world while also putting me to a slow painful death by lust. I never knew it was possible to love and hate someone so much at the same time. And he's just brimming with magic; I've seen him do spells without opening his mouth. That's supposed to be impossible! I point my wand at him beneath the desk. I hold my breath and shove the words out of me: Break a leg. Nothing happens. Break a leg. I put every ounce of willpower I possess into the three syllables to no avail. My perennial scowl deepens. Break a-

"Wand away, please, Mr Pitch."

I roll my eyes and slip my wand into my satchel. Miss Possibelf continues her spiel. "Now 'head over heels' can be used offensively to flip an opponent, or to generate feelings of love. The main factor in deciding the outcome of your spell is the intention behind it. If you have aggressive feelings when you cast, your spell will mimic those feelings. And if your mind is amiable when you cast you will project those feelings onto your target."

Snow has no chance of controlling himself long enough to perform a spell. All his feelings are stored subcutaneously, where anyone who cares to can read them. When Agatha broke up with him I could tell he was angry. He wasn't upset, just pissed that they could no longer be the school's golden couple. I don't think he ever really felt all that much for her. If he did I never saw it, and after seven years of sharing a room with Simon Snow I think I know him pretty well.

"You'll be pairing up to practise," says Miss Possibelf.

Bunce twists around in her chair to raise her eyebrows at Snow. He grins in acquiescence; those two are bloody inseparable.

"I'll need same sex partners for today."

The outcry of protest from the class prompts Miss Possibelf to elaborate, "Firstly to ensure that none of you are already in love, as there's no point in the exercise then." Heteronormative fucks. "And secondly so we do not have any, ahem, inappropriate displays of passion as we have in the past."

I snigger. My aunt Fiona told me that when her class did this spell, she ended up sprawled across the desks with a guy who would end up being her boyfriend. I turn to Niall and am met with an unwelcome surprise. Dev and Niall have paired up together, the sorry excuses for henchmen that they are. I look around for a victim to inflict my wrath upon. (I'm a big fan of wrath.) Gareth's thrusting his belt buckle at Rhys, Agatha's angling herself hesitantly toward Penelope, and Simon is frantically scanning the room for a friend with a Y chromosome. His eyes settle on me.

"I guess we have to go together," he concedes with a grimace. I cast my eyes around the room, hoping for a way out. No luck, we're the only guys left.

"I guess so."

Well, there's no way this can end well, considering I'm already in love with the bastard.

Miss Possibelf spells her orders over the babble of an excited classroom, "Listen up! I want you to practise both head over heels spells, focussing your will on the correct emotions."

I turn to Snow, sneering. He looks apprehensive.

"Head over heels!" I shout.

Snow's feet are hoisted up to the ceiling and then released. His face splats gruesomely on the stone tiles, making me flinch involuntarily. I rearrange my features into a smirk as he picks himself up, glaring at me.

"As you were," I say. His face is wiped clean of blood but his furious expression remains in place. He thrusts his hand into his back pocket and pulls out his wand.  

"HEAD OVER HEELS!" he yells and I'm wrenched up to the ceiling and smashed against it. I try to curl up into a ball before I hit the floor, but neither of these actions takes place.

"Freeze!" Miss Possibelf strides across the room, cane in the air. "At ease." The whole class unfreezes, including me. I fall the final metre to the ground and land jarringly on my hands and knees.

"What exactly is going on here, boys?" Miss Possibelf asks, eyebrows raised over her protuberant eyes.

My knees crack as I stand, "We were just practising the spell, Miss. Snow here got a little. . . overexcited." I glance at him and he blushes.

Miss Possibelf gives us a stern look, "Well you've demonstrated your proficiency in the literal meaning of the spell. Let's see how you do with the implied."

Snow huffs and looks at me. So does the rest of the class. I take a deep breath and level my wand at the chosen one. Feelings of love, that shouldn't be too hard. I look at his clear blue eyes, strong jaw, pink lips – I love every part of him. I close my eyes.

"Head over heels."