2. Simon

This is ridiculous. It doesn't matter how good of a magician he is, nothing's going to change my feelings towards Baz. There's more chance of me suddenly sprouting wings and a tail than falling in love with my mortal enemy. I fold my arms and stubbornly stare into his deep grey eyes. He has a strange expression on his face, like he's nervous, or scared.

Baz closes his eyes, "Head over heels."

The force of the spell pushes me back a step. I blink, suddenly lightheaded. Baz is looking at me anxiously, his onyx hair falling over his face, caressing his clean-cut cheekbones. He says something, but I can't focus on the words. I'm transfixed by the way his lips move, by the clear tenor tones which ring in my ears.

"Baz."

The soft, sibilant syllable tumbles off my lips. He's looking at me with something like fear in his eyes; like he's scared of me, or maybe for me. I wish he wouldn't. All that matters is that we kiss right now. I take a step forward.

Suddenly a voice cuts through me, "As you were."

The room seems to dim and I'm able to look away from my roommate. Miss Possibelf still has her cane pointed at me.

"That was a very powerful spell, Mr Pitch. Well done," she says.

The bell rings.

"Remember I want 1000 words on double entendres before Friday. Class dismissed."

There's a flurry of movement around me, but I stand still. Did I just have feelings for Baz that weren't of hatred? It seemed for an instant that he was the most beautiful, kind, wonderful person in the world. And I wanted to kiss him. I could think of nothing I would rather do than throw my arms around my mortal enemy's neck and discover what he tastes like. (Blood, probably.)

I feel a tap at my shoulder and spin around. Penny looks at me questioningly and holds out my bag.

"You alright, Simon?" she asks.

"Yeah, uh-" I grope for words, "I just can't seem to shake that feeling." The feeling of being in love with Baz, how natural it felt, how wonderful.

"It was an extremely powerful spell," Penny says, "You were completely enraptured by him."

I blush, "Well he's a very good magician."

***

I lie on my back, gazing at the ceiling. It's dark; the curtains are closed. There's a breeze coming in through the open window, carrying with it the scent of the grounds. Baz isn't here. He's probably in the catacombs, filling up on rodents. I smile a bit. That thought should disgust me; it used to. But it's kind of cute when you think about it, how he hides away from the world to eat.

I sit up with a jolt. What was that? Baz is not cute. It's not cute how he slicks his hair back when it's wet, it's not cute how his fangs pop out when he eats, and it's definitely not cute how he furrows his brow when he casts.

I hear footsteps on the stairs and hastily lie down and arrange my limbs into seemingly comatose positions. The door clicks open and he walks inside, taking care to be quiet. He brings with him the smell of dust and death, residual from his supper. I can hear him moving around in the dark before he slides into bed. I struggle to keep my breathing even to maintain my façade of sleep. This is the first time I've seen him since class today. It feels different. Our already strained relationship has had another weight added to it. I wouldn't be surprised if one of us ended up killing the other sometime soon. I blink when I realise that thought makes me sad. I don't know how long it took me to finally fall asleep that night, but I do know that it was before Baz.