The Floor

"I just don't get why you don't like him."

"I don't get why do you like him."

He looked down from his computer to look at me. I happened to be sitting on the floor of his office, sick as a dog, killing time before my exam.

"I know why you don't like him."

"This should be good." He mused to himself.

"He intimidates you!"

He scoffed. "Just shut up and do your work."

I rolled my eyes, and reverted back to the few practise exams in front of me.

"Whats your next exam?"

"Argh, business management."

"Then why are you studying for math!"

"Because business is stupid, I'm not doing the subject next year, and math is enjoyable."

"So what, 100% on the exam?"

"Oh, you bet. Do you know why?"

"Enlighten me."

I turned so I was looking up at him, from having my back against his desk on the floor near his feet. He was no longer typing at his computer, but looking down at me.

"Because I have Mr. Cavanagh. Duh. My class will do better than your class"

There are two year 11 Methods classes, he was one teacher, and the other teacher, Mr. Cavanagh, was mine. There was a rivalry between them, to say the least. 

He rolled his eyes.

"Whatever you say."

He paused for a moment.

"Are you sure you're alright on the floor? You can grab a chair if you like."

"No, I'm OK thank you. Oh, could I please borrow your calculator?"

"Do I have to do everything for you?"

"Just be thankful that you're not my teacher this year."

The end of the school year was only two weeks away, then I was going into my last year of high school. Towards the second half of this year, I went to see Mr. Lenz about picking up physics next year, and in turn, seeing him in my free periods to prepare for next year. During this time, my music teacher, Mr. Sumner was away for the third term. He and I have been close since my very first day of high school. We were very close to crossing the line that student and teacher should not cross, but we have too much respect for each other to do something like that. In Mr. Sumner's absence, the opportunity to grow closer to Mr. Lenz arose, and we have turned into good mates.

As for Mr. Cavanagh. He is very, very good looking, well at least I thought so. He had an essence about him that screamed 'class', and thats what I like in a man. Also due to this, I would never have any luck with him. He took the place of the math teacher that left last year, Mr. Thewlis. He was my math teacher in year 10, and passed on his love of math into me. Unfortunately, he left to go and teach overseas, but we talk over Skype and email. I barely blow my nose without consulting which tissue to use, with him. He has become a really good friend.

I let my head drop back so it was against his desk drawer. This also allowed for me to look into his eyes, which were fixed on his screen. I watched as his brown eyes darted from his screen to a book that was on his desk near his arm. I closed my eyes, begging my sore throat to dissipate.

"Are you sure you're alright?" There was an essence of concern in his voice. I opened my eyes to be greeted by his dark brown eyes. I closed mine once more and nodded slightly. 

"Mhmm."

"What time is your exam?"

"Two o'clock."

"Well, if you drift off to sleep, I'll wake you fifteen minutes before hand."

"Thanks mate."

I let my head slide to the left so it was resting on the side of his office chair. I felt the warmth radiating from his leg, and his pants fabric against my left ear. I drifted off to sleep, the last few questions from the practise exam circling around in my head.