The First Lunch Time

My right leg was moving up and down in an anxious subconscious task. I would switch my gaze to my left wrist checking the time, over and over again. Begging, pleading for the time to disappear, as the minute hand moved it caused a tittle way to go off in my tummy.

"Georgie."
I snapped my head up to look at Charlotte as I let out a breath I wasn't holding.
"Yes mate." I replied calmly as my table of friends looked at me. My group of friends hung out at the table in front of the staff room during out breaks.
"You alright? You look really tense."
I scanned my line of sight around the table to look them all in the eye to try and identify the emotion present on the table. No luck.
"She's probably to wound up from having six weeks without seeing Mr. Sumner."
A small laughter spread around the table, I joined in with them.
"I'm going to go to the bathroom, I'll be back shortly."
I said as I got up. There was only 15 minutes left of lunch.

"She won't be back." I heard one of my friends say from the table.

I wondered around the school as I made my way to the science building. Upon walking into the door, I saw the back of Mr. Lenz working away at his laptop though his office door. I weaved my way through the desks as I approached his office door. I opened it without knocking, as I always do. 

"What do you want."

"Do you really want me to answer that?"

He turned to face me with a smile. I stood in the doorway of his office with my own smile as I had my hand stretched above my head to support myself on the door frame.

"How were your holidays?" I asked.

"Good. Just stayed at home. How were yours?"

"Pretty boring, just hung around home and worked."

I looked behind him to see his timetable pinned to his office wall. 

"Aha, looks like we have the same free periods again."

He turned to examine his timetable.

"Looks like I'll have to get that changed."

He turned back to face me with the cheeky smile I had become so accustomed too. I remained in the doorway taking in the sight of Mr. Lenz at his desk, wearing his soft blue work shirt. I took note of his relaxed posture moulded into the back of his chair. I heard the bell to signal the end of lunch.

"So seeing as though you have a study now, what did you plan to do in it?"

I looked over at him. He now had his left leg crossed over his right.

"It's the first day of school, so nothing."

"Well, pull up a chair."

He turned back to his computer and began typing away again. I went and sat beside him at his desk, looking up across his bookshelf, taking note of the various math textbooks that he had. I looked back over at him to find that he was looking at me. Without another word, he turned back to his computer.

"Have you spoken to Thewlis lately?"

"Yeah, I spoke to him just the other night."

"Oh yeah, how is he?"

"He's just plotting along nicely."

"Tell him I say hello."

"I'll make sure to pass on your love, Lenz." My voice dripping with sarcasm.

"Close te door. There's a draft coming in."

"So demanding today!"

When I sat back down, I positioned myself so I facing him with my legs stuck out and placed resting on top of his chairs legs.

"So Lenz, ready for a big year this year?"

"I could ask you the same thing, last year of high school."

"Yeah, well I'm not the one who has to teach me three subjects."

"Pffft, I'm going to quit."

"Yeah yeah, you say that every year, but you're to lazy too."

He looked at me with his cheeky grin that I would soon to fall in love with.

"Yeah, you're right."

"Keep talking" he said in passing as he went back to typing away at his laptop.

"About what?"

"Anything."

"Why?"

"I like it when you talk."

I looked at his profile while he worked away, partly in disbelief.

"Hey, can you do me a favour please?"

"Ah, yeah, sure." He's one to have a past subject change.

"Can you please take this to Kate Harman, she should be in the music rooms now, you can see your friend Mr. Sumner."

I handed me a calculator that had a sticky note saying 'fixed' on it.

"Sure."

I made my small trip across the courtyard to the music rooms, where I had been only hours before talking to Mr. Sumner.

I kocked on the door to one of the classrooms before opening up the door and stepping inside.

"Sorry to interrupt Mr. Sumner, but this is for Kate, from Mr. Lenz." I stated while holding the calculator up.

"Georgie! You never interrupt! Come on in."

I walked over to where Kate was sitting and handed her the calculator, she was in the year below me, so we were relatively familiar with each other.

"What was wrong with it in anyway?" I said while handing it to her.

"Need a new battery."

"Ah, cool cool."

As I was about to walk out of Mr. Sumner's class when he called me back.

"Georgie, how has your day been?"

The class saw this as an opportunity to start talking amongst themselves, which provided Mr. Sumner and I with the background noise to talk comfortably together without being overheard.

"Pretty relaxed, just easing myself back into things, being the first day back."

"Yeah yeah, same with me." He said with a smile. "Hey, what class do you have now?"

"I've got a free, so I'm just hanging out with Mr. Lenz."

"You know you can hang out here too?"

"Thanks Mr. Sumner, but I think I'll stick to over in the science building, its a lot quieter." I said while looking around at his students, who were itching to break off and go and play in there bands for the year.

"Yep, fair call Georgie. Anyway, I better let you get back to Mr. Lenz, he'll probably be waiting fro you to get back. I guess I'll see you around." And with that he turned away from me and walked over to a group of students. Well, okay then. I looked at him perplexed, then just walked out and wondered back to Mr. Lenz's office.