Chapter Five: Road Kill

I dropped the hammer and stepped back. Quickly my eyes scanned the garage, and I saw a tool box. I clambered over to it and grabbed the whole thing, then ran to the passenger door of Marley's car and jumped in. I wiped the blood out of my eyes and slammed my hand down on the door's lock and turned to look at her.

We stayed silent and just stared at each other for a minute, then Marley spoke up, "Aren't you worried about getting Hepatitis?! And where did you learn to do that!?"

 "I've seen enough zombie movies to know that you have to kill them by a blow to the head.."

I pulled a crowbar out of the tool box and turned it over in my bloody hand.

When I was younger, I used to play soft ball and I was a batter; I have pretty good aim and a good swing.

"Open the garage. We need to leave." I said to Marley.

She seemed put off by me, but still pushed the garage door opener's button. Light poured in as the door went up and I was blinded for a second.

I looked out the back window and didn't see any zombies. Marley put the car in reverse and we flew backwards, out of the garage. She sped down the road, which was empty. All of the houses seemed to be deserted. It was a ghost town.

Marley turned the corner quickly and there was a van stalled out across the street, blocking our way. Two zombies were climbing onto the hood of the car, trying to get to the people that were inside of it like a bear trying to get honey from a bee hive. 

I jumped out of the car with my crow bar, and ran to the side of the car. I hit one zombie in the side of its head and it fell onto the ground, blood spilling out onto the pavement. The other zombie turned to me and let out a horrible scream, then snapped it jaw and crawled towards me. I hit it in the face, repeatedly, until it slumped over and rolled onto the ground.

The man who was driving the van rolled down his window.

"We ran out of gas..."

"How many people are with you?" I asked him.

"Five total."

I glanced at Marley who was looking around nervously.

"Come with us."

I went back to the car and got in the back, and the other people all got into our car.

"Thank you, really. I'm Ripley." The man told my sister. He had dark hair, a beard, and was muscular.

Three boys were all squeezed in the back of the jeep with me, while Ripley and a girl sat in the front. Two of the boys looked to be my age, and the girl and the other boy looked to be in their twenties. Marley hit the gas and again we were speeding down the road.

"I'm Ash." I said to everyone, "And that's my sister, Marley.. Uh, Marley? Where exactly are we going?"

She didn't take her eyes off of the road. "We're going to dad's farm."